How long does your start/stop stay off for?

MA3RC

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Long story... Basically my girlfriends A1 start stop has been playing, it won't always initiate at the lights (no info on the dash saying it's not working either), despite the AC and blowers being off, engine up to temperature etc.

When it finally does turn the engine off we're lucky for it to be off for 10-15 seconds max before it starts the engine up again.

We've taken it to Audi who have "tested" it and have found no faults.

There is definitely something wrong but Audi won't have it. It didn't always used to be like this. Worked faultlessly for the first six months.

The car is a 2015 A1 sport 1.4 TFSI.

I'm just trying to gauge what peoples experiences with start stop on similar A1 engines are like?

I don't believe that the colder weather plays too big a part as my A3 hasn't changed the way it works and likewise my work colleague has an A1 and they've not noticed anything different.

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Have to say....my wifes car is similar.

When the stop start engages, it normally restarts after about 20-30 secs.

Maybe its something to do with the fact that the battery isnt very large?

Also, a big factor in it not engaging is external temperature. I think it doesnt work below 4 degrees.

Have to say....my wifes car is similar.

When the stop start engages, it normally restarts after about 20-30 secs.

Maybe its something to do with the fact that the battery isnt very large?

Also, a big factor in it not engaging is external temperature. I think it doesnt work below 4 degrees.

Thanks for that, it's good to know. I did think the battery might've played a part as it's a smaller car. As for the temperature my car still works fine when its extra cold outside. But then that may be down to it being a bigger car?

Yes, my S3 is the same....stop start works perfectly (when I dont turn it off!)..... The A1 is definitely more sensitive to weather/volt draw.

On my S7 the start stop is all over the place and does seem very hit or miss in terms of whether it will kick in or not.

Someone did mention in an earlier post that having dynamic selected in the car settings disables start-stop, but doesn't seem to make any difference to mine!

On my S7 the start stop is all over the place and does seem very hit or miss in terms of whether it will kick in or not.

Someone did mention in an earlier post that having dynamic selected in the car settings disables start-stop, but doesn't seem to make any difference to mine!

I think they're wrong on that one, mines never not worked when it's set to dynamic and neither have the various other Audi's I've driven.

Thanks for the input, it bugs me how temperamental it really is

Is it a diesel or a petrol? I find mine stops working a couple of days before my DPF regen light comes on then goes back to being perfectly fine.