1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long do brakes last?

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by imported_AndyB40, May 5, 2006.

1. imported_AndyB40

imported_AndyB40 Guest

[May 5, 2006]
    Hi

I know it's a bit like asking how long a piece of string is, but when on average would the brakes (hopefully just pads) need replacing on my A4 B6 1.8T? The car has now done 21000 miles and am thinking it must be soon. Most of the miles I do are town driving so frequent soft braking.

And does the A4 warn when the pads are low so the discs aren't eaten into?

Thanks!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. Shadowman

Shadowman Member

[May 6, 2006]
    Hi,

It depends totally on the style of driving but with town driving like you do, I woud expect them to last about 25/30 th miles but as I say, some people are heavy on brakes, some light.

As for the warning, yes, there is a warning which comes up on the dash when they need replacing ( and it is conservative so you have a few weeks from when it comes on to get them done from experience ).

It explains this in the handbook.
  4. chazzy

chazzy Member

[May 7, 2006]
    remember discs will wear quicker now there is no asbestos in pads. my local brake place reckons 2 pad sets per disc set.
    Chas
  5. imported_AndyB40

imported_AndyB40 Guest

[May 8, 2006]
    Hi

Thanks for the replies, very helpful, and I will go and read up the manual to see what it says. With a bit of luck then I've still got a few miles to go before replacement needed :)
  6. Marko

Marko Member

[May 10, 2006]
    Mine has covered 23k and are still exceptionally chunky. Mind you I don't drive hard on brakes. My last A4 had disks for it's 90,000 mile life.. they were ok.. I must be a soft braker!!!!
  7. imported_AndyB40

imported_AndyB40 Guest

[May 10, 2006]
    90000 miles! blimey! well hopefully mine will be ok for a whole then :)
  8. sinbadfury

sinbadfury Member

[May 10, 2006]
    I take it that if there is a ridge at the edge of the disk, then they need replacing. Currently done 55k on mine? Have a cambelt to do first though!
  9. dstech

dstech Member

[May 26, 2006]
    I drive moderately agressive and my OEM pads last me about 25k (twice replaced).
  10. Andy101

Andy101 Member

[Jun 13, 2006]
    Just had first set of front pads after 59,000. As you say its the type of driving you're doing.
  11. neil.c

neil.c Senior

[Jun 13, 2006]
    Did about 60k in our golf gti16v before it needed new pads, did the front and rear. With hindsight I perhaps should have changed the disks as well as they are unlikely to be in good shape at 120k

The S3 is still on its original parts

my company astra is on its 5th set of front disks and pads and second set of rear shoes it has done 73k :)
  12. Quiffster

Quiffster A4 Cab 3.0 V6

[Jan 29, 2007]
    I've just put my 03 A4 Cab in for an MOT and the dealer said it needed new disc and pads on the front (£320). Its an Auto - but its only done 34K miles - I think I'm being done (???) My last car (A Volvo S60 D5) - did 75K miles on a set of discs and pads.

Steve
  13. VTEC_Killer

VTEC_Killer Member

[Jan 29, 2007]
    My front pads lasted 43k - one thing to note; the inner pads are the ones that wear quicker than the outer ones; so don't be fooled if the outer ones have plenty of pad left; the inners won't be the same (I know this as I just recently had my fronts changed; the inners were close to the metal whereas the outers had about 2k left)

As for the low pad warning - I believe this only shows up if your car has DIS (correct me if I'm wrong guys)

Cheers,

Sheraz
  14. jr001

jr001 Member

[Feb 1, 2007]
    I've just put my 03 A4 Cab in for an MOT and the dealer said it needed new disc and pads on the front (£320). Its an Auto - but its only done 34K miles - I think I'm being done (???) My last car (A Volvo S60 D5) - did 75K miles on a set of discs and pads.

Watch out!! Mine was in for 60k service at audi dealer and they said front discs and pads needed changed also - £300. I didn't want to hear this as I lay on the beach in Ayr. Told them NO! Then went and bought new discs and pads for front £74tot Euro Car Parts. When I got round to replacing them myself, I found that the pads didn't need replacing and neither did the discs!!! Replaced them anyway since I had the new ones in front of me.Even my MOT had no advisory notes for anything. The discs had the usual rust on the disc edges but they're bloody metal aren't they!!! Doesn't mean they need replacing.
  15. jr001

jr001 Member

[Feb 1, 2007]
    In addition to the above, the car is at 71k and now on its third set of pads, although could have went to 80k before replacing front pads. Discs should generally see three sets of pads before needing replacing.

Cheers
  16. Sinny71

Sinny71 S55 LKS

[Feb 1, 2007]
    The low pad warning still shows without DIS. I don't mind the little picture but the beep every time I start the car does my head in.

Front pads cost £75 inc vat for the 1.9TDi but the stealers wanted to take my eyes out to fit them. Now need the rear discs and pads replacing if I ever manage to get the bloody wheels off. Its not been a good week for me and my car..!!

Oh, and Audi reckon you'll get about 1000 miles from the point the warning light shows, though Audi Newcastle advised 800 to be safe.
  17. VTEC_Killer

VTEC_Killer Member

[Feb 2, 2007]
    I got my genuine Audi front pads for £30 all in :rock: :rock:

Good old Ebay :respekt:

:racer: