1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how lon do points stay on your licence?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by edward_harris, Mar 31, 2007.

1. edward_harris

edward_harris s3 gone now a shiney red evo 6

how long do they stay on there? i have 5points got them about 2years ago, are they due to come off?

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. ianspibs

ianspibs Member

4. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

They stay on your licence for 4 years, but only count for totting up for 3 years. You have to pay to have them put on and pay to have them taken off!

5. edward_harris

edward_harris s3 gone now a shiney red evo 6

lol that sounds about right!

6. 28v6

28v6 Guest

Yeah, but was "Informed" that to have them removed from your license you have to pay to "Clean it up" if not then the endosements still stand, Is that true.. (Incidentally it was an insurance broker that told me this, Y'know the one with the poited hat and Parrot in the Ad) ??:think:

7. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Absolute ********!

8. DIABLO636

DIABLO636 Member

agreed, insurance guy was talking ****.
    they are not valid in the eyes of the law once they have passed their expiry times, which vary depending on what the points were for. Doesnt matter if your licence still shows them or not.
    Problem is the insurance company ask for you if you have had any points in last 5 years......if you say no and you have not had the points removed from your licence and they were still in that 5 year period they could invalidate your insurance as you gave false information.
    However - have them removed from your licence after 4 years and nobody would know the difference...

9. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

But they can easily check with DVLA anyway in the event of a claim that they want to weasel out of, so hardly worth the risk when SP30's and most other speeding offences do NOT put your premium up anyway. If they do they it's time to change insurance companies.

10. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost!
    Staff Member Moderator Team Daytona quattro Audi S3 Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

On the subject of points, does anyone know what tpe of penalties an SP30 and 6 points does to your insurance premium?
    I tried to do an online quote to see if it was massively different, but there was SP30 3points, and not a 6 point version available??

11. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

6 points in one hit will effect your insurance, but keep shopping around as the variance is huge. I used a broker called Hyperformance when I first got my licence back from a totting up ban and they got it down to £1200, all the quotes I'd had were over £3k. Not suggesting yours will be that big Jo but it pays to try everyone, or let a broker do it for you

12. medicineman

medicineman Member

3 years for totting up, 4 years on your licence and 5 years for insurance purposes. Try Liverpool Victoria, they are not interested in anything less than 9 points or a ban as the result of a single incidence of speeding.