1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Economical is Yours ??

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by Billyboy200uk, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Billyboy200uk

Billyboy200uk New Member

Hi Guys .... I know there have been threads about this before but as I have only had my A4 cab for the last month, I thought I would share my results and see how this compares. My car is a 54 plate cab 2.5v6 TDi with multitronic gearbox, and 44k on it.
    Recently had a remap, and therefore have been checking fuel economy. I drive around 1800-2000 miles/month, mostly dual carriageway/motorways, and generally have the cruise control on around 70-75mph indicated. As an aside, I ALWAYS use Shell fuel, mostly normal diesel, but occasionally throw a tank of V-Power into it.

Have to say so far, that i am impressed given that it is a big heavy car. My previous car was a Volvo S60 D5 with Auto gears, and that was also very good, same journeys I was getting probably mid 40'smpg.

Anyway, the DIS for this last tank gave me a figure of 41.9mpg. Having brimmed the tank, I have done 650 miles having put in 70 litres of fuel which equates to 15.38 Imp.Gallons, which inturn meant a return of 42.26 mpg. Therefore, quite surprisingly the DIS was very accurate, and seeing as the mileage also included some town driving, as mentioned I am very pleased with the result.

please feel free to comment

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. xs2man

xs2man Member

That is quite impressive right enough.

On my DIS, over the last 8000 miles, I am getting 23 mpg. Not too bad...

gkf9 likes this.
  4. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Audi Avant Owner Group Audi A6

I use fuelly.com, my 2.5TDi q manual does 32mpg as an average, but I'll happily admit I drive it like I stole it generally. My DIS under reads by 2mpg.

5. cobraBLACK

cobraBLACK Chocolate? It's doo-doo, baby!

I can get late twenties if I get to cruise on A/B-roads in 6th gear.

Urban is more like late teens.

The V8 just about makes up for it though. Maybe I need a Milltek to justify it further.

6. haytch75

haytch75 Member

You can be pleased with that! Did you do any calculations before the remap? Would be interesting. I recently did 470 miles to Edinburgh and back and the maths worked out at 42.54mpg. I do spend a bit of time on motorways and over the last 6000 miles I've avreaged 37.5 with no remap, just normal shell diesel and millers additive maybe once a month.

7. mikeh126

mikeh126 Member

I get a little under that - it does depend on how the car's driven. I sometimes tow a boat, and, like quattrojames, use the performance in the lower gears to squirt it where I'm able.
    BUT - if I drive it like my gran drives her Nissan Micra, I can get as much as 35mpg.
    Have to admit, though, that's not very often!!:haha:

8. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Audi Avant Owner Group Audi A6

I think a lot depends on the type of roads you use with a 2.5. I never really go on any motorways or longer lengths of dual carriageways, all the driving I do is rural A/B roads, the majority of it at anti social hours, hence the low figure. If I ever go on a longer journey of 2 hours plus the mpg will increase surprisingly.

9. Turkster

Turkster Bro.Paul 2.5TDI Quattro Sport

i think my one gives about 450miles to the tank, but i don't drive 2.5 like a 1.9 if you get my drift,

10. haytch75

haytch75 Member

Totally agree with the use of roads James. I'd say 85% + of my miles are motorway and I avoid rush hours (plural), hence my mpg figures. Let us know if you've got any figures pre-remap Billyboy.

11. Billyboy200uk

Billyboy200uk New Member

Hi guys nice to see some responses, sorry haytch didnt do any really meaningful miles prior to the remap, and I guess I am a bit "Driving Miss Daisy" when commuting to work and back, especially on the motorways, not a lot of fun even if you do give it the beans a little. Not to say I don't enjoy having some fun on good "A" roads, when I get the chance, although have to say with the sun out and the roof down, even then it's nice to cruise along rather than belt it.

12. dejongj

dejongj Active Member

I do about 140 miles per day, mainly motorway with beginning and end say 30 miles of city and country side traffic. I tend to drive at the max speed limits. I use any old fuel that I can throw in. I get about 34mpg which is not bad from a 3.0 petrol quattro automatic I think :)

Oh mine has done 68k miles now.

13. mememe

mememe Member

Only just had mine but so far I've been getting 41-42(DIS) on country roads and in the town. A little better than the 18-19 I was getting from my frontera!

14. BahnStormer77

BahnStormer77 BahnStormer

Tend to avg 33-36mpg, depending on enthusiasm and mix of driving, but despite being in London, I probably spend less time in traffic and more time on dual carriageways and A-roads than most...

I've got it down close to 30mpg avg over about 50litres, but I was being a VERY naughty boy and having a lot of fun on A-roads and B-roads!

38mpg is very do-able if I make a conscious effort to drive it like I've got one of those B8-style "eco" change up indicators on the dash (i.e. 4th gear at 25-30mph, 4th to 6th change-up as soon as you're done accelerating up to the 50mph limit on a dual carriageway).

#13 BahnStormer77, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  15. scott b

scott b Active Member
    VCDS Map User

average 42 mpg 1.9tdi with remap