How Economical is Yours ??

Billyboy200uk

Reaction score
Hi Guys .... I know there have been threads about this before but as I have only had my A4 cab for the last month, I thought I would share my results and see how this compares. My car is a 54 plate cab 2.5v6 TDi with multitronic gearbox, and 44k on it.
Recently had a remap, and therefore have been checking fuel economy. I drive around 1800-2000 miles/month, mostly dual carriageway/motorways, and generally have the cruise control on around 70-75mph indicated. As an aside, I ALWAYS use Shell fuel, mostly normal diesel, but occasionally throw a tank of V-Power into it.

Have to say so far, that i am impressed given that it is a big heavy car. My previous car was a Volvo S60 D5 with Auto gears, and that was also very good, same journeys I was getting probably mid 40'smpg.

Anyway, the DIS for this last tank gave me a figure of 41.9mpg. Having brimmed the tank, I have done 650 miles having put in 70 litres of fuel which equates to 15.38 Imp.Gallons, which inturn meant a return of 42.26 mpg. Therefore, quite surprisingly the DIS was very accurate, and seeing as the mileage also included some town driving, as mentioned I am very pleased with the result.

please feel free to comment

That is quite impressive right enough.

On my DIS, over the last 8000 miles, I am getting 23 mpg. Not too bad...

Reactions: gkf9
I use fuelly.com, my 2.5TDi q manual does 32mpg as an average, but I'll happily admit I drive it like I stole it generally. My DIS under reads by 2mpg.

I can get late twenties if I get to cruise on A/B-roads in 6th gear.

Urban is more like late teens.

The V8 just about makes up for it though. Maybe I need a Milltek to justify it further.

You can be pleased with that! Did you do any calculations before the remap? Would be interesting. I recently did 470 miles to Edinburgh and back and the maths worked out at 42.54mpg. I do spend a bit of time on motorways and over the last 6000 miles I've avreaged 37.5 with no remap, just normal shell diesel and millers additive maybe once a month.

I use fuelly.com, my 2.5TDi q manual does 32mpg as an average, but I'll happily admit I drive it like I stole it generally. My DIS under reads by 2mpg.

I get a little under that - it does depend on how the car's driven. I sometimes tow a boat, and, like quattrojames, use the performance in the lower gears to squirt it where I'm able.
BUT - if I drive it like my gran drives her Nissan Micra, I can get as much as 35mpg.
Have to admit, though, that's not very often!!:haha:

I think a lot depends on the type of roads you use with a 2.5. I never really go on any motorways or longer lengths of dual carriageways, all the driving I do is rural A/B roads, the majority of it at anti social hours, hence the low figure. If I ever go on a longer journey of 2 hours plus the mpg will increase surprisingly.

Totally agree with the use of roads James. I'd say 85% + of my miles are motorway and I avoid rush hours (plural), hence my mpg figures. Let us know if you've got any figures pre-remap Billyboy.

Hi guys nice to see some responses, sorry haytch didnt do any really meaningful miles prior to the remap, and I guess I am a bit "Driving Miss Daisy" when commuting to work and back, especially on the motorways, not a lot of fun even if you do give it the beans a little. Not to say I don't enjoy having some fun on good "A" roads, when I get the chance, although have to say with the sun out and the roof down, even then it's nice to cruise along rather than belt it.

I do about 140 miles per day, mainly motorway with beginning and end say 30 miles of city and country side traffic. I tend to drive at the max speed limits. I use any old fuel that I can throw in. I get about 34mpg which is not bad from a 3.0 petrol quattro automatic I think :)

Oh mine has done 68k miles now.

Only just had mine but so far I've been getting 41-42(DIS) on country roads and in the town. A little better than the 18-19 I was getting from my frontera!

Tend to avg 33-36mpg, depending on enthusiasm and mix of driving, but despite being in London, I probably spend less time in traffic and more time on dual carriageways and A-roads than most...

I've got it down close to 30mpg avg over about 50litres, but I was being a VERY naughty boy and having a lot of fun on A-roads and B-roads!

38mpg is very do-able if I make a conscious effort to drive it like I've got one of those B8-style "eco" change up indicators on the dash (i.e. 4th gear at 25-30mph, 4th to 6th change-up as soon as you're done accelerating up to the 50mph limit on a dual carriageway).

Last edited: