1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How easy it is to change the headlight bulbs (Non LED)

MA3RC Nov 25, 2013

1. MA3RC

MA3RC Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group VCDS Map User Team Brill Red Audi A3

A quick question for someone, How easy / hard is it to replace the halogen bulbs in the headlights?

On my current car it's an incredible faff as you need to remove the whole headlight unit, lots of screws and disconnections.

Reason being as I don't have the LED light package on my A3 to be. I want to replace the standard bulbs with some Philips X-treme Vision.

Thank you :thumbsup:

2. dieseldoug

dieseldoug Member

Easy to do slacken off 3 torx screws2 different sizes ( slacken the top ones fully as they are located in a hole) remove the wiring plug and s.die out the whole headlight

3. ivicker

ivicker Member

Or go to halfords and let them do it!

4. manor13

manor13 Active Member

5. MA3RC

Good timing eh :) can you let me know how you get on!

cheers all

6. PjDali

PjDali Member

Was curious how the original poster got on swapping out bulbs...

I've had a new set of Nightbreaker bulbs to install for a while now but dipped beam bulbs looked impossible to access do put it off....

7. jasonsf1

jasonsf1 New Member

I swapped mine today for Osram nightbreakers I tried undoing the torqs screws but the headlights still seemed to be held in so I just removed the rubber covers reached in and removed the bulbs they just twist about 10 degrees then they come out on the wire you then pull the plug off then prise the clip off the old bulb and refit it to the new bulb then refit the bulb took me about 15 minutes start to finish.

8. jasonsf1

jasonsf1 New Member

Just thought I'd add I have driven with the osram nightbreakers for a few days and I don't think they are much different from the standard osram bulbs I took out. Maybe it's just my failing eyesight lol.

9. JohnM100

JohnM100 #teamSepang VCDS Map User Gold Supporter

I have never used the Osram NightBreakers but I have had the Philips Extreme Vision on previous cars which were very good and had rave reviews.

Am on Xenons now so can't comment specifically for the 8V

John.

10. MA3RC

Digging an old thread back up here,

Looking at fitting the X-Treme vision bulbs for a whiter light.

The owners manual shows main beam headlight / daytime runing light as 55/15 W (H15 LL) and dipped beam headlight as 55W (H7 LL)

When I search online all websites show the main beam as a H7 for the A3, X Treme vision doesn't come in a H15? Would a H7 bulb work for the main beam?

Thanks for any help, bit of a newbie when it comes to the different types of bulbs!

11. Flibble

Flibble Active Member Team Estoril

Check which you actually have fitted if possible. H15 and H7 are very different fittings so one ill definitely not work in place of the other.

I never found faffing with halogen bulbs made much difference on my 8P; I think Audis come with pretty good bulbs to start with.

12. MA3RC

Is there an easy way to tell? Or will I have to remove the bulbs? I'm after more of a white look than anything, I'm not a fan of the yellow tinge to the standard lights