How do you remove steering slip ring?

c_w

Reaction score
I'm attempting to fit cruise control and have got stuck trying to remove the slip ring. It appears that I may have to remove the steering ECU but have read other people didn't need to do this. I can't see how it comes off and it all threads have just said "remove the slip ring" and "replace the stalk", sounds very easy lol but when it comoes down to it does not look easy at all. All I can see is ****** fragile plastic, have managed to get the slip ring loose from the tabs, and undone a very small torx screw but can't get it beyond the ecu. Also can't see how the ECU is attached, it's just "loose" but no obvious form of attachment.

Can anyone provide a step by step of removing the slip ring and replacing the stalk with the cruise stalk please?

Firstly good luck with that!
I think from reading other threads you void the warranty or something when you take the slip ring off.
Im sure someone will come along to help you.

You need to remove the ecu and you will void the warranty when you remove the ecu.
To remove the ecu theres 2 clips. One at the front and one at the back, you need a small screwdriver or something to push this clips to unclip the ecu. Will try to find a pic because its hard to describe how to get it off.

modpc6.jpg

Best image i could find but this is where the clips are so you know where to push :D

Before you do anything, are you sure you have the correct ecu that supports cruise control ?

The clips that hold it on are very fragile and the front one you push to the left and the rear one you push towards the front. It is easy to break the plastic spring so be careful.

All done now - thanks for replies! I managed to remove the slip ring without removing the ECU by "carefully" bending the tab that the small torx screw went through back a bit and twisting the slip ring out.

Last edited:
All done now - thanks for replies! I managed to remove the slip ring without removing the ECU by "carefully" bending the tab that the small torx screw went through back a bit and twisting the slip ring out.

Result !! Nice one :beerchug: