how do you know when your engine mounts need replacing

swarcup

Reaction score
As the title says what are the symptoms etc. i know there is one that vag-com scans but the others im wondering about?:huh:

If its the active one that goes, the engine will shake a bit more, you can look underneath for tell tale red oily stains- sign that the oil the mount is filled with has leaked away. The other one is solid and unless you lift the engine to check for the bolt if became loose from the rubber mount then there is not much to see. They mounts are also known to break the alloy part (the bolt breaks away and gives a similar noise like a bad balljoint) and will be felt at take-off or sudden stops as the engine lifts and drops with a clunk. I would fit audi rs4 solid mounts, they are reversible, just ignore the fault code when you scan the car!

Cheers chris. im experiensing a clunk at take off and stopping but id doesnt sound like its at the wheel. although looking at the droplinks the rubber is cracked and perished can this also cause a clunk on take off and stopping?

Hi mate, do you feel the engine moving forward if you hold your hand easy on the gear stick ? Dont keep it too hard or for too long as you're puting un-necessary stress on the syncros though. It could be the mount but i would jack the susp. up front and yank the wheels and look for worn balljoints first. Noise when you lift off and accelerate points towards mounts,ARB bushes or lower balljoints but the mounts require front bumper removal as the stubby mount is in the way. You can jack the car up from the sump with a plank of MDF/ply underneath and try and feel for damaged mounts. Its the 1.9 that i mormaly do (old shape b5) but i had a few v6 tdi(also b5) as well with just one (driver side !) mount broken...Did not have the privilege of changing one on a b6 v6 tdi though but done one on a 1.9 tdi ex cabbie...

The drop links also can make that noise if the bush can turn into the alloy housing.

thanks mate il have a look when its back from the crash repair centre. had a range rover trying to park on it. driving a vauxhall ensignia 2.0l diesel brand new at the mo. i can honestly say my audi is far better than this ****! you just dont realise how good audis cars are till you dont have it.

Anyway if you hold the gearstick the whole lot does move forward and back as you set off and when you coast probably around an inch or so, to be honest i think its always done that. The clunk started really quietly and over time has progressivley got worse. sometimes it is like a chattery noise but only ever happens when you are going slowly.

They are quite easy to replace but the stub mount needs to be taken off or the front lock carrier needs to be put in the service position. You can do-it with a engine crane or a hydraulic jack and a block of wood under the sump. The mount is just held by a 13mm nut top and bottom. Keep your fingers away and make shure they locate properly with the barbs in their respective mounting holes.

i think my mounts may be away too, i get a similiar knock when taking off in 1st & the whole car shakes back & forward on idle?

I'll check it with vcds, will it definitely show as a fault if they have gone?