1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you fit new springs

clcollins Sep 27, 2004

1. clcollins

clcollins Member

Perhaps I should have asked this before buying them, how do you fit new lowering springs?

I have bought the Eibach Pro kit, I can't see it being too difficult, just time consuming.

All help appreciated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. foolish3uk

foolish3uk Member

remove legsfrom vehicle get a spring compressor and compress spring unbolt top nut and change sspring, refit in reverse order, not forgetting the full 4 wheel alignment required to set up the suspension so car sits right!

3. dickys3

dickys3 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    foolish3uk said:
    remove legsfrom vehicle get a spring compressor and compress spring unbolt top nut and change sspring, refit in reverse order, not forgetting the full 4 wheel alignment required to set up the suspension so car sits right!

[/ QUOTE ]

Expect to pay about £80+ to get the 4 wheel allignment done at the stealers! You can get it cheaper but its quite an involved job so I'm told.

4. clcollins

clcollins Member

[ QUOTE ]
    foolish3uk said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Bugger, that's more work than I was expecting, spring compressor?, 4 wheel alignment?

5. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

Took me the best part of 4 hours to change the springs on my A3... The hardest part was removing the shock/spring unit! Once this is out, you can compress the spring and remove it from the shock VERY easily...takes all of about 2 minutes..same for replacing it. As for putting the shock back in the car, clean off the mating surfaces with WD40 and some fine wet&dry and it slips back in nicely... Not a hard job, just time consuming and a bit fristrating when bits wont come apart!

Cheers

Rich