1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I remove headlight level motors?

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by mac1403, Aug 19, 2006.

1. mac1403

mac1403 Member

[Aug 19, 2006]
    Could anyone tell me how to remove the headlight level motors from the light unit. I have a new one to replace the naff one. I have noticed L/H and R/H look different. The one on the left is in one piece, but the one on the right is 2 pieces. I can remove the top, but am left with the white spool and drive spindle. The new one I have is a one piece unit so I have to remove this...anyone got any ideas how it comes out. I have pulled it to the point I thought the whole thing was going to break away from the headlight assy!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 26, 2014]

3. simonwjones

simonwjones Member

[Aug 19, 2006]
    dont know if it helps, but i was messing with my lights last night seeing if i had the lever to adjust for european driving. ( setting of to France tomorrow )

and I removed the headlight levelling motor by mistake.

It simply twists off and drops out.

bit of a pain getting it pack but not too hard.

No have the hastle of flicking the lever at 2am on monday morning just before getting on the ferry

Cheers

Simon
  4. mac1403

mac1403 Member

[Aug 20, 2006]
    I agree they just twist to unlock, but its getting the drive spindle out that seems imposible. I don't understand why the r/h one is in 2 pieces with a separate spool and drive. If I could get the motor that just fits to that it would be easy. Audi have supplied me with the one that looks like the r/h and is in one piece. I did originally think its a upgraded part and maybe they come as one assy now, but that doesn't get round the problem of removing the half thats left in there. If i could get that out the one piece assy may well fit.
  5. mac1403

mac1403 Member

[Aug 20, 2006]
    Managed to get the old one out. Like stated it twists 1/4 turn to come out. The hard bit is disengaging the ball end from the light fitting. This has to be pushed down and out at the same time. A real PITA, but its done now and all lights levellers work...yehar!
  6. Danielson

Danielson Member

[Aug 20, 2006]
    i might get around to fitting my levellers one day, i dont see the point unless u tow a caravan or have a load of fat fookers in the back. =)
  7. mac1403

mac1403 Member

[Aug 20, 2006]
    haha....sorry buddy, but no fat fookers or caravans. Only reason is i used to have a leveller each side until it went to the body shop for the spoiler fit. suddnely there wasn't one on the r/h light. A bit hard to prove when you don't notice it for a couple of months. Apart from that I have just fitted my HID kit and wanted the option to set them a bit lower. Also gives me the option to put them higher when all the baseball cap, big trainer, tracksuit wearing **** heads in their halfords saxo's p**s me off