1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I know if my CAT's have disintegrated on my 2.8Q

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by AndyMac, May 11, 2010.

1. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[May 11, 2010]
    Came off the motorway tonight and the exhaust was making a terrible racket. The exhaust is only 3 years old, Milltek, and the garage said the CAT's were rattling badly but still OK at the last MOT and the noise seems to be coming from the front of the car as far as I can tell. When I got home I did jack the car up to see if it was an obvious problem, but when I fired the old girl up the noise didn't seem anywhere near as bad and I couldn't see anything obviously wrong, the CAT's looked in surprisingly good nick for 13 years old and 180k. Any pointers?
    Looking around it looks like replacements are around £130 each.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 19, 2014]

3. phoenixv6quattro

phoenixv6quattro staylowmovefast

[May 12, 2010]
    Hello mate. I have the same set-up as you on my 2.8Q - full milltek etc. When I bought my car a year ago the whole exhaust was knackered including the cats. I think its safe to say that in your case after 13 years they could do with being replaced.....There is a guy on ebay called "the cat man". He sold me two cats/downpipes with gaskets/fittings for the tidy sum of £160. There not going to last as long as oe items, but its been almost a year and I havnt had any bother from them.....
  4. AndyMac

[May 12, 2010]
    Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I will have a scout round for the cat man.
  5. phoenixv6quattro

[May 12, 2010]
    If you get stuck finding him let me know and I will dig out the invoice for you, and send the number your way....
  6. AndyMac

[May 12, 2010]
    Couldn't find the catman, but found eurocats.co.uk who are just down the road from work, and they recommended a garage walking distance from work to supply & fit for £300 incl VAT. So they're doing it tomorrow for me. At the moment I just don't have the time to shop around, just need it done without having time off work.
    thanks again, Andy
  7. phoenixv6quattro

[May 12, 2010]
    Fair one mate, thats not badf to supply AND fit two of them!