1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do I Drive My 2.0TDI?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by emzino, Mar 4, 2007.

1. emzino

emzino Active Member

Hi there. As some of you have maybe noticed, I have recently purchased a A3 2.0TDI.
    Now this is my first TDI car and i'm not too sure how to drive so do please bare with me :tocktock: . I'll put the questions as points to make it easier:

Btw, it's got 48k > 49k on the clock

1) On a cold morning, what kind of RPM should I keep it at/above/between?
    2) I know I shouldn't heavy foot it while it's cold and wait for the temp gauge to come to the middle. Once it's reached the middle, can I then stretch its legs abit or should I wait for around 10mins while its on the middle to push it.
    3) What RPM should I generally change the gears at. 2k? 2.5k? 3k?
    4) What would I have to check for the most e.g. will I have to keep on topping the water pump? etc etc
    5) When topping the water pump, will ordinary water do or do I need some kind of special liquid?
    6) When I push the ESP Off button, a yellow icon appears with an arrow going around it, does it mean its On or Off?
    7) Anything else I should watch out for or do in general?
    8) Is there particular diesel I should go for when filling up e.g. Shell, BP?

Sorry for all the questions, it's just so I don't screw it up heh. Many thanks in advance.

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. normski

normski Member

Dude, read your manual and then enjoy driving your car.

I haven't got my S3 yet, but assuming its business as usual, I would assume that if you press the ESP button and you get a light then it is off.

The water pump? I assume you mean coolant, I have always had VW's to date but they do a VAG coolant (see your manual) and I have always tried to use it cuz it is cheap anyway. You won't see too much movement in the level short term unless you have a problem I shouldn't think.

I guess you love your new car, but I think you are worrying a bit too much mate.

4. JasonM

JasonM Member

IMHO have an 05 Sportsback 2.0TDI with 65K

1) On a cold morning, what kind of RPM should I keep it at/above/between?
    Ans >> Just keep in around 2.5K
    2) I know I shouldn't heavy foot it while it's cold and wait for the temp gauge to come to the middle. Once it's reached the middle, can I then stretch its legs abit or should I wait for around 10mins while its on the middle to push it.
    Ans >> Temp gauge in the middle - thats good enough for me
    3) What RPM should I generally change the gears at. 2k? 2.5k? 3k?
    Ans >> Your get all the torque just before 2K, depends on your driving style though I guess your hoping to get good MPG @ 2.5K
    4) What would I have to check for the most e.g. will I have to keep on topping the water pump? etc etc
    Ans >> Should typically never need to top it up, if you do, could be the early signs of coolant loss. Just makes sure its screwed up properly
    Oil is the one to watch, the consumption can be a bit high, mine uses @ 2ltrs per service (@ 19K miles). Weekly checks should suffice, always keep 1ltr in the boot.
    5) When topping the water pump, will ordinary water do or do I need some kind of special liquid?
    Ans >> N/A
    6) When I push the ESP Off button, a yellow icon appears with an arrow going around it, does it mean its On or Off?
    Ans >> Yes off
    7) Anything else I should watch out for or do in general?
    Ans >> Nothing else comes to mind, enjoy !
    8) Is there particular diesel I should go for when filling up e.g. Shell, BP?
    Ans >> I always put in whatever is the cheapest, supermarket fuel is fine for me. GB gets enough tax out of me.

5. benw123

benw123 Moderator

1. Immediately from cold, you should keep the revs as low as possible. After a minute or so, extend it to around 2000-2500rpm max to allow the car to warm up properly. This applies to all cars really.
    2. Wait as long as you can before stretching it. It takes only 5-10 minutes for the coolant to reach the correct temperature, but oil is a lot longer, and this needs to be warm to deliver its best.
    3. Again, low as you can for the best economy. When pushing on, note the the turbo wakes up from a little under 2000rpm, so you'll need to start from here if overtaking, for example.
    4. Usual checks; coolant and washer reservoir, and also the oil. My TDI needs topping up now and then, but I just keep an eye on it.
    5. If you have to top the coolant up, use a mix of water and anti-freeze (or, more likely, just add the bottle to the tank if its suitable). Remember to do this from cold; if you have to undo the cap when hot, do it very slowly because the boiling water may rush out all over you!
    6. If the light is ON, ESP is switched OFF. Don't mess about, just leave it on unless you drive in snow, where a bit of wheelspin can be handy.
    7. Nothing comes to mind, but if you haven't already, it's worth going back through this 8P forum and reading some of the topics. Common issues keep cropping up here and are worth a read.
    8. I use Total, but only because they're local and quite cheap. I wouldn't use supermarket brand all the time. It's probably best to just mix it with different brands; that way, your eggs aren't in one basket if we get more contamination like the unleaded last week.

BTW, I drive a 2.0TDI Sportback with 19k on the clock.

6. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

If I had to wait for the temp gauge to move to normal before revving my car,I'd never rev my car.
    In my 3.5 miles commute,the temp gauge hardly moves.
    The car still gets revved hard.

My car uses a lot of oil,but that's got sod all to do with the way I drive it.
    If it was,other cars I've had would have burned oil too,yet they didn't.
    My car's just one of those oil-burning Audis and that's that,unfortunately.

Personally,I can't believe how 'namby-pamby' people can be with their cars.
    It's not the 70's,they're not going to blow up if you drive them hard from cold.
    Unless someone can produce evidence that their gentle driving actually benefits the car,I'll poo-poo it with a 'pish and twaddle',if it's all the same.

7. emzino

emzino Active Member

@normski: I’m just about to read the manual now but thought I’d ask incase it didn’t tell me any of this stuff that was boggling my mind all weekend heh.
    I will make sure the ESP is on always then by making sure that yellow icon isn’t there.
    Aha the coolant heh. Ok I’ll keep an eye on that and I’ll look into the VAG coolant as well.
    Yea I am love with it and will try to worry less. Thanks for your help normski.

@JasonM & benw123:

1) Ok I’ll do that. I wasn’t going to rev it hard anyway but needed to know where to keep it roughly.
    2) Ok understood. Long enough for oil to warm up too.
    3) Low as I can for economy and turbo wakesup at just under 2k, thanks.
    4) I will always keep oil and coolant with me then just in case! I’ll read the manual to find out which one I’ll need. Got a question for this at the end.
    5) Aha. Do it from cold and mix it with anti-freeze if I can. Ok lovely.
    6) Yea I’m gonna leave it alone. I wonder why you’d wanna take it off…
    7) Ok will keep an eye on the forums just incase.
    8) Well since there isn’t a “premium diesel” I guess anything will do. My locals are BP so I’ll be alright. Nectar card will come in handy from now on hehe.

@bowfer: Yea I see where your coming from mate. I guess I’m being a little too precautious but I’ve never driven a TDI before so not sure how to really treat it.

I hope mine isn’t one of those oil burning Audis though… but if theres any evidence that I find that gentle driving pays off, I’ll be the first to let you know :idea: .

Oh one last question, for topping up oil, I know VAG have there own brand but is it wiser to go for something abit more expensive and go for like a premium brand such as Castrol for example? Is there actually a difference?
    Sorry if it sounds dumb, just never really got an answer for this when I was thinking the same for petrol cars.

Many many many thanks again guys. Really do appreciate your input and time. It's help me understand the car better. Just gotta read through the manual (which is thick!) and i'm done :hubbahubba:

8. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

The long life stuff that Audi sell is Castrol,isn't it ?
    I should know,I see enough bottles...

9. benw123

benw123 Moderator

True, car manufacturers produce far more reliable engines these days. Back in the 70s, if you had a diesel-powered vehicle, you'd have to start it and wait for it to warm up before driving anywhere else it would stall!

However, it's all about mechanical sympathy, not being over-cautious. I'm sure if your Sportback was the only car you'd ever own for the rest of your life, you'd drive like a daisy. But if you know at some point you're going to get rid of it, or it's leased, you can do almost what you please and not have to worry.