How do AUDI do it - 2.0d engine 140bhp or 170bhp ???

redbull999333

Reaction score
Hello Peeps,
Can someone please tell me what it is that AUDI do to there 2.0d which increases the bhp from 140bhp to 170bhp. I'm interested in buying an audi A3 3dr S-line, silver with a bit of luck, 06- with the sexy front end.

I currently have a mk4 VW golf 1.6 SE (1998), which I love to bits but has seen better days - And since getting a new job, I need a car that can do a few more MPG + treating myself.

From what I've searched on autotrader - an A3 S-line 2.0d (140bhp) with mid mileage on the clock (40,000-60,000) go for around £11,000 - £13,000 which is within my price range :) But the (170bhp) models seem to be much more around £15,000 + :(

Chances are that I will settle for the 140bhp, but I have driven a 170bhp model & it was such a joy! Given that I do go for the 140bhp model I guess I'm afraid that I may feel disapointed sooner or later.

What it is that AUDI do to there 2.0d which increases the bhp from 140bhp to 170bhp?

Thanks,

Dan.

Bigger turbo apparently. Had my 170 a year now and love it. Not driven a 140 though.

There will be quite alot of changes that audi have done to gain the extra 30bhp, its not just a matter of upping the boost like a remap usually does.

some of the parts that will have been changed could include the following:

turbo
ecu calibration
injector size
headgasket
exhaust
DPF
air intake
compression ratio - pistons, rods, crank.

these are only a few of the things that may be different on the 170 compared to the 140.

If you do want the 170bhp version and can't stretch to it then i would certainly get the 140bhp and look into a remap, that should take you to 160+.

Go for a 140bhp and then get a remap which will see 175-180bhp and around 300ft-lb, wasn't impressed with the 170 when I drove it, and that was a mapped one as well!!!

There will be quite alot of changes that audi have done to gain the extra 30bhp, its not just a matter of upping the boost like a remap usually does.

some of the parts that will have been changed could include the following:

turbo
ecu calibration
injector size
headgasket
exhaust
DPF
air intake
compression ratio - pistons, rods, crank.

these are only a few of the things that may be different on the 170 compared to the 140.

If you do want the 170bhp version and can't stretch to it then i would certainly get the 140bhp and look into a remap, that should take you to 160+.

Main difference between the PD140 and PD170 are :
Turbo is the same size but has slightly different disigned blades, larger exhaust outlet and manifold
PD140 has Bosch ECU PD170 has Semmens ECU
PD140 injectors are standard PD cam controlled injectors while the PD170 has Piezo crystal controlled injectors.
Head gasket is the same shape as the same head is used.
Exhaust is the same but has a DPF instaed of a CAT and down pipe is different design as the turbo sits in a different posistion to the PD140 turbo
Was not aware of different design air intake
Compression ratio and rods,crank are the same.
Cams have a slightly different profile
Not aware that the pistons are any different.

Does any1 know if its possible to fit a 2.0 tdi 140bhp into my audi a4 which is or was a 170bhp and just swap everything that is different like the turbo and injectors etc.

Go for 170 if you can afford it. Only end up wishing you had done in the long run. And remap it for maximum smiles :)

I have the 170bhp but have driven the 140, I have to say the 170 is a little more lively to drive, due to the wheelspin mostly but in retrospect there isnt a massive difference in performance.

My 170 does around 48mpg on the motorway can be nearly 60 if I am very fuel efficient friendly and drive like Miss Daisy.

Either is a great car and if money is tight get the 140 and have it remapped, if you want something fuel efficient then in time you wont notice the slightly reduced performance of the 140 over the 170....