1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do airbags work!?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jcb, Jan 5, 2012.

1. jcb

jcb Active Member
    VCDS Map User

is it possible to set of an airbag in the front or side when hit from the rear?

Is there a minimum speed required or can they go off at any speed?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. gary3306

gary3306 Active Member
    VCDS Map User

A crash sensor is triggered by the impact and the ignitor inside the gas canister ignites and mixes the two chemicals together that are in the canister (can't remember the two chemicals but one is nitrogen something lol), this produces a nitrogen gas that inflates the bag and it bursts out of its housing. Of course, all that happens like lightning lol. After it inflates it slowly deflates as the gas escapes through the tiny holes in the nylon bag. They sometimes have talcum powder in to help them deploy.

They will set off at the equivelant of hitting an immovable object at about 10mph, and it is possible for side ones and front ones to go off if hit from behind but very rare as they rely on deceleration rates to trigger.

#2 gary3306, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  4. jcb

jcb Active Member
    VCDS Map User

so if I nudged someone at a low enough speed to not break a bumper or number plate on either car am I right in thinking that a claim for a side airbag is not necessarily genuine?

5. gary3306

gary3306 Active Member
    VCDS Map User

From your description there i would say it was highly improbable that it would initiate an airbag.

6. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost!
    Staff Member Moderator quattro Audi S3

Don't know how they work, but this reminded me of this video.

#5 jojo, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014