How Disable front Airbag ?

spiider

Reaction score
Help,

I tried to put a baby car seat in the front seat and I tried to disable the airbag and didn't find the switch in the glowbox....

I called the dealer to be told that this is an optional optional which I don't have :-(

Is there any way to add this myself or to get it added ? Anyone been in the same situation ?

I think in the UK it comes standard but not in Euroland.. :-(

mine is dec 2004, 3.2 sportback

Any ideas on how much it would cost ?

The option I checked is sold for 100 euro when you place the order .... I wonder how much the retro fix would be...

Audis sold in the UK are generally more expensive that in continental Europe but they do tend to come loaded with items that are options in Europe.

My first A3 (8L) back in 1998 did not have the passenger airbag switch but there was a sticker saying that it could be switched off if required by a dealer. It may still be possible for a dealer to do some re-coding to switch it off rather than having to have a switch fitted. It would mean that it was off all the time though or until it was re-coded on again.

Ooops. My mistake. I was under the impression that I had to order this ISOFIX thingy so I would get the option to disable the airbag (which I think is done by turning it off with your key at the passenger side of the dashboard when the door is open.)

I believe the two are seperate, but are standard equipment on UK cars anyway.

The disable switch is located next to the CD changer mounting and operated by the ignition key.

Atleast here in Finland both Isofix and airbag switch are available only as part of the same package - you can't get them separately. I don't know how difficult it would be to retrofit the switch, but I'd guess you would need some new wiring etc to the glovebox..

...and possibly the de-activation indicator that is one of the switch plates to the right of the hazard light switch in the centre console.

I retro fitted the switch on my 2004 a4 s line, cost me about £90 plus my time and took a couple of hours. If your interested, PM me....