1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How clever is the S3 ECU in respect of mapping and adjusting correctly for mods?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Muzza80, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Muzza80

Muzza80 Well-Known Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
    Just a quicky.

I've modified a few previous car now to around 300bhp and they have all been different in the respect of mapping specifically for modifications.

As an example I bought a standard Focus ST225, got it mapped on the day I bought it by a company called Pumabuild (their own map) then bit by bit I added firstly a 3" cat back system, then a month or two later a CAIS, followed next month by an uprated intercooler and sports cat downpipe. At no point was the original map changed and on a rolling road the car produced 310bhp and 350lb/ft with as perfect power/boost/fueling graphs as you could possibly get. The very clever ECU in the Focus adjusted everything to optimum based on the readings from all the sensors.

Then... lets take my 2006 Impreza, every major modification you added had to have the map tweaked to suit or you got all sorts of overboosting, fuelling and other problems. You actually had to drive it off boost to the mappers to have it tweaked.

So the Audi S3... on Saturday I'm getting it shark stage one mapped by Brodster. It's bog standard just now but lets say in a months time I want to add an intake system, then the following month I want to add a turbo back exhaust. Can I safely add these things without having to go back and immediately have it mapped again? Will the ECU account for these and adjust what it needs to to run the car safely now the whole system is far more free flowing?

Cheers!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. lankysam

lankysam New Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
    Happy to be corrected mate but as far as I'm aware, taking your examples into consideration, your cold air intake will be fine and your turbo back will be as well providing it's got a 200cel sports cat. EML will come on for the emissions if it's decat or only a 100cel sports cat.
    Muzza80 likes this.
  4. JJ.Foulds

JJ.Foulds Well-Known Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
    just wait and get it mapped after the mods? lol
    Muzza80 likes this.
  5. s3_sid

s3_sid Active Member

[Nov 14, 2013]
    it deepdns wha you do yeah you will get some things will give gains without mapping some wont if you get me

you wont get as much hp at the time of mapping it say as it could max get but then put on a exhaust and intake and it will boost upto what its max could be for a set level
    Muzza80 likes this.
  6. Muzza80

[Nov 14, 2013]
    Nah mate I want it mapped now, it could be a few months before I add anything if I do at all.

I'm just wondering if there will be any running issues with adding things like the intake or exhaust if I don't go and immediately get it mapped right after, like the Scooby had.
  7. sliced

sliced Drive safe, stay alive.

[Nov 14, 2013]
    Put it this way, you won't release the potential if you go for a stage 1 map and have stage 2-3 hardware
    Muzza80 likes this.
  8. DJ-S3

DJ-S3 Member

[Nov 14, 2013]
    You will be fine. EML light might pop up with the exhaust, but just ignore it. Once you've got everything added, go to get it remap'd again to the correct stage for optimum performance.
    Muzza80 likes this.
  9. Brodster

Brodster Shark Performance In Scotland Regional Rep Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Nov 14, 2013]
    As said mate........no harm in doing it the way you want to do it. I did exactly the same with no adverse effects to the car. And when the time comes to get it remapped again say after the TBE fit its only an update to the map so minimal expense NOT full map price.
    Muzza80 likes this.
  10. JJ.Foulds

JJ.Foulds Well-Known Member

[Nov 14, 2013]
    make sure you make a thread with all the progress! :D
    Muzza80 likes this.
  11. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Nov 14, 2013]
    I did exactly the same in my car,it seemed quicker but when the map was put on to use all this hardware boy oh boy,night and day but worth the wait to appreciate it,stage one will have you grinning though.
    Muzza80 likes this.
  12. Dave-S3

Dave-S3 Active Member

[Nov 14, 2013]
    Been wondering this myself. My plan is to now do, catback, CAI and stage 1 map, ill probably leave it after that! Expecting around 320BHP+ since stock mines pushing 280. :)

Edit: After doing some Youtubing ive realised the Milltek catback non res doesnt sound much different to the stock exhaust... so i might save for a Turboback... since that definatly sounds different ;)

I was under the impression though that with a TBE you needed to have a stage 2 map, which is what the Milltek site says? Not going to make much difference to me if i need it anyway as id already have a Shark stage 1!!
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
    Muzza80 likes this.
  13. batch

batch Active Member

[Nov 14, 2013]
    I flashed my car then added a CAI a couple of weeks later, no ill-effects.
    Then I had the map tweaked; Oh holy moly!
    Muzza80 likes this.
  14. Dave-S3

Dave-S3 Active Member

[Nov 14, 2013]
    Ill get my mods first then ;) haha
    Muzza80 likes this.
  15. Dean_T

Dean_T Active Member

[Nov 14, 2013]
    Sounds like a BCS powervalve system would be right up your alley :)
    Muzza80 likes this.
  16. Muzza80

[Nov 14, 2013]
    Cheers for all the replies.

Yeah who knows if I will even take it further to be honest. 300-310 bhp is a bloody quick hatch and I'd rather not get into clutch worrying territory if at all possible.

Thanks again, cant wait till Saturday now! :D
    Dave-S3 likes this.
  17. Dave-S3

Dave-S3 Active Member

[Nov 14, 2013]
    Enquired about prices, the Powervalve one sounds like a rally car!!!