How can I tell if the cambelt has been changed?

Vanessa

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a receipt to say my cambelt and water pump was changed last August, before I owned the car.

(Kit de distribution). For anyone wanting to learn French

The receipt is for approx 700 euros which is about right here for the job.

The reason I am questioning it, is because normally here in France the garage would write it somewhere on the engine to say it had been changed and what date, in case of change of ownership and no receipt. I have a receipt but nothing is written that I can see anyone under the bonnet.

Is there a way to tell if it has been changed? :think:

Vanessa, if this work was done by an Audi garage, I believe that the details of the work done will be registered at Audi (in their database). You could try visiting any Audi main dealer or authorized garage and ask them to check on your car's history using the VIN number of the car (on the windscreen). With a cam-belt change, nothing is visible under the bonnet. Some garages will make an entry in the service logbook with the garage stamp and details of work done and kilometers noted.

Some garages write it in white pen on the timing belt cover whilst it's off, however this can either be on the side or on the inside which faces the belt, neither of which are really visible until you take the cover off again!

Hi Guys,

I was changing the fuel filter today and when I was checking everything was ok, I noticed that the belt had a dat of 2012 on it, so as the car is a 2009. I think it has been done.

The work was not done at Audi. So could not check with them.

Thanks for your help.

Vanessa, the belt that is most visible when you are changing the fuel filter, is the auxiliary belt (which drives the alternator and air-con compressor). In older cars, this one was called the 'fan-belt'. The timing belt is hidden by a metal cover as Smithy has mentioned. Hope this helps.

Hi Gerald,

Thanks for the info, I am going to have another look and hopefully I can locate it this time. :uhm: