1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I disconnect the centre speaker?

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by AndyMac, Oct 19, 2005.

1. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Oct 19, 2005]
    Don't really want to rewire the front doors (although I know I should), but I spent a few hours doing this on my 2.8Q and it made no difference to the sound, so can't be arsed to do it on the B6 Avant. I've had a look with the glovebox out but the thing is buried so far forward there doesn't seem to be anyway to get to it from underneath.
    Any suggestions?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 28, 2014]

3. a4sline190

a4sline190 Member

[Oct 19, 2005]
    Hi,

From the harness you can see the centre is fed from the front speakers just a case of cutting one of the wires going to the centre and insulating, I did this after putting my own head unit in my S-line as the centre was just clipping all the time with the increased power from the head unit, once this was done all was fine.

Cheers
  4. AndyMac

[Oct 19, 2005]
    Nice one thanks, I hoped that was the case but didn't want to pull the HU again just to find out I was wrong, Audi wiring isn't usually that simple. I'll post a pic later.
  5. peteA3tdi

peteA3tdi Member

[Oct 19, 2005]
    on the air vent on the dash in front of the speaker Carefully prise off the cover around the blob that sticks up under the cover is a screw for the blob under the blob is the screw for the vent and speaker grill
    if this helps
  6. AndyMac

[Oct 19, 2005]
    thanks Pete
    Cheers, Andy
  7. AndyMac

[Oct 22, 2005]
    Yes, the centre speaker runs bridged across the 2 front speaker connections via thinner wires than the main fronts. Wow what a difference. That centre speaker seems to be tuned to provide all the harsh treble and "baby crying" middle on your favorite tracks.
    Just cover it up with an A-Z and hear the difference. I'm guessing its there primarily to boost dialogue (like a surround sound centre speaker), its certainly not much good for anything else, maybe connected to a handsfree kit it would serve a useful purpose.
  8. gizze

gizze Member

[Oct 28, 2005]
    I did exactly that with my centre speaker, hooked up a bluetooth hand free kit to it.
  9. peteA3tdi

peteA3tdi Member

[Oct 29, 2005]
    i have navi+ and my centre speaker don't work anyway, i did some work on an A4 and this had a concert hu and now i can see or hear should i say what the fuss is about , god it sounded s**t untill i covered it