1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How bad is it to drive on busted turbo seals?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Squirrelofdoom, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Squirrelofdoom

Squirrelofdoom Member

Hi guys,

I've suspected for a while that my turbo seals were on their way out. I actually bought a rebuild kit months ago with the idea of taking the turbo out in order to repair it, but never did because it never actually turned out to be that bad - only a puff of blue smoke here and there and going through oil a little quickly.

However, while driving to London yesterday, it's suddenly gotten a lot worse. Smokes a bit on idle, and then every time I pull away I leave a rather large cloud of blue smoke behind me :S smells strongly of burning oil too. Seems to be worse in reverse too; I was doing a 3 point turn with the windows open and managed to fill the cabin with my own smoke....lol

So, I want to get the turbo out to repair it now...but I've got a really busy couple of weeks where I need access to the car, I really can't do much about that.

How bad is it for me to be driving the car as it is? Will I be causing lasting damage?

Thanks guys,
    Aran
  2. phil miller

phil miller Member

i wouldnt drive it until its fixed, it could do alot of damage
  3. Squirrelofdoom

Squirrelofdoom Member

what sort of damage we looking at? Is this a "I can drive it if I'm careful / gentle" kind of thing?
  4. phil miller

phil miller Member

hmm IMHO its a dont drive it and try not to start the engine, it wont get anybetter and the last thing you want it it to dump all your oil and then sieze it up (ok worst case but you get my drift mate
  5. badger5

badger5 RIP S3dave Site Sponsor

oil under pressure could pee out of your motor out of the downpipe emptying it rapidly = engine death

I would'nt be driving it, but cant see your smoke to judge how shagged it is either

safest is Taxi/Bus borrow another car until you can get it fixed
  6. Squirrelofdoom

Squirrelofdoom Member

argh...typical, right when I really can't afford to not have a car :S
  7. Squirrelofdoom

Squirrelofdoom Member

phew, saved by the missus. Will borrow her car. Mine's off to the garage on Wednesday to get the turbo taken out, then rebuild and back on as soon as!!