Hot engine smell

Adam Waddington

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm after a bit of advice, seen as it's Sunday and things always happen to people's cars when Audi service department aren't in I was wondering if anyone on here could help me out. I have a 2015 A3 saloon 2.0 diesel 185 s-line. The engine has started making a burning smell. For the past 3-4 days I've only been driving short distances but still managing to get up to 60-70mph. As I park up I can smell it burning. It's done 27,000 miles.

Have you looked under the bonnet? Check oil cap and expansion tank caps are on tight. Look around for anything that looks like a wet area of oil or water.
If nothing is found then it could be that you have ran over a plastic bag or something that is slowly melting on your exhaust.
Failing all that then take to the stealers for a quick check up.

Thank you. I've looked underneath the bonnet and everything seems ok. Caps are on tight. It's still under warranty anyway so I'll book in with Audi. I'll also keep an eye out for leaks. Thanks

Possibly the DPF keeps trying to do a clean? Does the fan stay on for a bit when you get out the car?

Reactions: RSS-S3, Scottyg and Ormesome
Could be the clutch and flywheel maybe. Is it a manual? I had the same hot engine smell problem with my S3 and the Dual Mass Flywheel finally seized up completely. My car had only done 6000 miles!

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk

Possibly the DPF keeps trying to do a clean? Does the fan stay on for a bit when you get out the car?

+1 for DPF. reaching 60-70mpg won't matter if you are still doing short journeys. what matters is the engine getting up go temp. mine smells a little whens its doing a DPF regen. my old Vauxhall Mokka used to stink and leave trails of black smoke for miles till it was clear! take your A3 on a good motorway run then see what happens. check fluid levels before (cars not yours!!)

Reactions: Scottyg
Haha. Will do. All levels are good and topped up. The car is driving perfect. Will keep an eye on it. Thanks guys.

+1 for the DPF regen. I get it every so often. Especially when I've been doing only short journeys. However, it tends to be accompanied by the fan staying on.

Your MPG will likely have dropped if it's trying to do a DFP regen also. My A4 would lose anything up to 15% economy when doing a regen.

The biggest things that are noticeable to me is the Start/Stop system won't kick in and the revs rise to around 1k when stationary. Your performance might be slightly off too, a little like its in "efficiency" mode and not "dynamic".... they where much easier to spot than MPG for me to be honest. If you stop it mid way through a DPF regen then the fan will go on after you stop the engine and the exhaust tips will be really hot.

Reactions: Spurrellian
Thanks guys for all the help. It seems to have stopped now so I'm guessing it was a regen. Running smooth now.