Hopping on Full Lock

Sam W

Reaction score
My car has started hopping on full lock when manouvering at low speedm say when pulling out of a parking bay.

Anyone have any ideas as I'm stumped :(

I'm sure there was a thread last year about something similar and it looked like it was tyre related, I think.

Yep, my car did exactly the same. I still had a bit of tread left on my tyres but changing them sorted the problem.

The last few mm of a tyre the compound changes and makes cars do strange things , my last car (S2000) between 9mm-4mm amazing grip below 4mm it was shocking and i could melt a rear set of boots in 5k miles .

I would be surprised if was anything else other than the tyres .

Same here mate, had audi check it and even my local check it.

Had an email from Audi HQ confirming this is when your tyres have low tread!

A characteristic of the car apparently, as my car has started to do it recently, have about 3-4mm on th front tyres!

I was going to ask this as every day I do a u turn to get into work and the car judders as I set off doing the u turn?? I thought it was the haldex kicking in the rear wheels and it making the car judder/ skip as it turns on full lock, so it's the Tyres then? I hav almost new Tyres all round, can't remember the front but the rear has them cheap ones made by the same company as fullrun!!!

Crikey, will measure my tyres then, they could well be around the 4mm mark, not cheap for a new set though :(

Thanks for the info though guys :)

My car has started doing just this in the last week. I have approximately 3-4mm tread left and will be fittting new tyres this weekend.

There was a post on this a while back and it was me that posted it.

I can confirm that IT IS THE TYRES and new tyres will fix it.

Yep, definitely the tyres. Mine did it with Michelin PS2's, so obviously it's not just crap tyres that do it when low. Mine were almost to the wear bar though. I knew what it was, so wasn't concerned.
On a side note, I've just had all 4 michelins replaced with Vredestein sessanta ultracs and they are as good, if not better than the PS2's. I got them fitted for £125 a corner, as opposed to the last ones at £201 a corner. A relative bargain.

If you have Fullrun tyres there, lies the problem even with with 8mm tread they are a terrible tyre and very dangerous in wet conditions

Mine did it on a previous set of PS2's in the summer and dry conditions. The weather isnt the issue mate, as previously stated its a characteristic of the car when tyres are worn.

My Exeo (B7 chassis) does the same, although with 'good' >6mm thread on the tyres. It's done it from new with Pirelli Pzero Rosso's.

I spotted the thread last year on here, with regards people saying it was tread depth, but mine was basically new at that point. I've got used to it now, and it appears to be down to the angle of the CV joint, and the angle of the wheels in contact with the ground when on full locl.

I've also got a 'grinding' noise when on full RH lock, which the Seat dealer can't fault-find. It's logged with Seat, so hopefuly they will come up with an answer..... maybe!

My Exeo (B7 chassis) does the same, although with 'good' >6mm thread on the tyres. It's done it from new with Pirelli Pzero Rosso's.

I spotted the thread last year on here, with regards people saying it was tread depth, but mine was basically new at that point. I've got used to it now, and it appears to be down to the angle of the CV joint, and the angle of the wheels in contact with the ground when on full locl.

I've also got a 'grinding' noise when on full RH lock, which the Seat dealer can't fault-find. It's logged with Seat, so hopefuly they will come up with an answer..... maybe!

Grinding noise!, low power steering fluid perhaps?

It's a metallic grinding, only on full right-hand lock. Normal driving and left-hand lock are Ok.

The dealer has said that they can hear it, but can't locate it!

Fitting new tyres probably cures it but as people have noticed it's mainly happening in very cold/winter conditions where the tyre can scrub/slip easier. In warmer/drier summer they don't so the noise doesn't appear. Clio 182s are bad for this too in winter even with new tyres.

It's due to the geometry/alignment of the wheels on lock. A brand new tyre just has more give in the tread to mask it.

It's a metallic grinding, only on full right-hand lock. Normal driving and left-hand lock are Ok.

The dealer has said that they can hear it, but can't locate it!
Quality dealer....

Nice choice of car though !! They look great on the road

They're not the best dealer in the world, but thought I'd give them the opportunity first, as I bought the car through them.

Might see about dropping it in to the other dealer, nearer home, and see what they can find (if anything).