1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hole in the Cylinder - what to do

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by pixelpollen, Oct 14, 2009.

1. pixelpollen

pixelpollen New Member

Hi All

Im a new member and am really stuck with what to do.

Setting off from the lights yesterday got upto 3rd gear I lost all power and drifted to a halt. The car got recovered.

First thoughts from the Garage was that the timing belt had gone or some other belt else where. But all the belts etc are all good. Turns out after a look with a small camera there is a hole in the piston head in one of the cylinders.

They wont quote how much to get it done cos it might mean a lot of work stripping down the engine to see the extent of the damage.

Recently passed its MOT, new tyres, 106,000miles, W reg and looked after.

As I say I don't know what to do... is it even sellable in its current state? I'm not sure can afford a new engine...

any or even a little help or advice would be hugely appreciated
    --
  2. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator

What engine etc is it? can it not be rebuilt?
  3. S3 Paul

S3 Paul Moderator Moderator

If its done a piston it maybe it could have damaged the head?
    A friend of mines car lost all power, on inspection it had a hole in the piston. We took the head off and it was badly damaged... it had broken a valve the smashed it into the head... total loss engine realy. realistcaly... untill the head is off its guess work. Take the head off, At the very least you will need a new piston. rings. bearings and an oil pump.
    Personaly if you are questioning weather to do it... i would look out for a second hand engine. There are a few good breakers out there and a later TT lump will take all your bits and bobs and get you up and running again
  4. pixelpollen

pixelpollen New Member

its the Audi S3 1.8t.

possibly it could be rebuilt its not beyond repair. I just dont think I will be able to afford it. Plus the place its at wont tell me how much they think it will cost without stipping the engine back ( i kinda get the impression they dont want the hassle)
  5. pixelpollen

pixelpollen New Member

TT lump?
  6. S3 Paul

Where are you based?
  7. pixelpollen

pixelpollen New Member

North Liverpool
  8. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

I'm with S3 Paul on this... sounds like a dropped valve to me... The cheapest/easiest solution is to get an engine from a TT/S3 from a breakers as suggested... from what you have said I think your engine maybe an APY (look on the head for the engine code) which IIRC is non VVT... if you get an engine from a later car that has VVT you will need to swap some bits over.

TBH, other than the large port head variant, most 1.8t engines would be usable as a replacement... on the stickies there is a sheet with the engine codes and specs on.. have a look there as it may help you find a suitable replacement.

Buying the engine should be cheap enough but unless you can fit it yourself then the labour costs are going to be the killer... good luck...

<tuffty/>
  9. S3 Paul

I mentioned a TT engine as they are probably easier to get hold of ( and as we know they are partly owned by hair dressers so will have had less abuse)
  10. pixelpollen

pixelpollen New Member

11. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

LMAO!!!!

<tuffty/>