1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hole in the bulk head...

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by cjhill, May 6, 2006.

1. cjhill

cjhill hmmmmm interesting.

Dear all,

No i dont have a hole but i want one !

Does anyone know the best place to run a cable from engine bay to cabin ? Preferrably on the drivers side somewhere near the fuse box.

Fitting a radar detector.

Cheers all

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Not drivers side but there's an used grommet on the passenger side under the wiper tray near the pollen filter.
    Drops right down behind the glovebox.

4. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]

5. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

What Andy said is your best bet, then just run the cable along under the dash - it's pretty easy!

6. Rob W8

Rob W8 Member

ditto, lots of swearing involved when pulling all the cables to the back of the car, but worth it in the end!

good luck

7. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Out of interest do you actually mean a radar detector?
    1. Raar detectors are actually pretty useless as only Gatso camera's use radar these days, and they are far more useful for picking up motion detectors on pedetrian crossings and shop fronts.
    2. Why do you need to wire throught the bulkhead for a radar detector?

I assume you mean a laser diffuser, which is definately an essential weapon these days

8. cjhill

no i did mean radar detector. Two reasons really,

1 - Dorset police force is the largest user of mobile radar speed traps in the UK, in fact ive never seen a laser trap here. The bloody radar traps look like tiny little BBQ's at the side of the road / in a bush.

2 - it interfaces with my origin B2 and has a smart mode that means it doesnt get set off by false alarms. it also tells you if a gatso is active.

laser diffuser is next on the list! (that to interfaces with the origin

9. Markb

Markb Active Member

I'm sure I've read posts where people say that using that grommet sometimes allows water into the car as it's so low down?

10. S3DBW

S3DBW Member

If its just a single cable you want to push through, then you can use the grommit on the drivers side which the bonnet release cable uses.

I have used this to run the capilliary tube for a boost guage. This route is fine and saves you having to route cable along the dash, however make sure you replace the grommit correctly as it will leak water if it comes out,as I found out!!

regards

11. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you!
    Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm sure I've read posts where people say that using that grommet sometimes allows water into the car as it's so low down?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if its not sealed. If its a single cable, it wont leak if you make a small hole as it seals itself. I've got about 6 cables through mine, so had to use sealent as i couldnt find a gromet big enough! lol.

Rich

12. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

A dab of silicon sorts it out

13. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Even so all it'll tell you is that you've just been zapped, just like current laser detectors.
    How do you know they're radar and not laser traps?

14. cjhill

i agree the laser detectors are rubbish and only really tell you if youve been caught.
    Radar however is much less directed. i.e it tends to cover a larger area and in traffic (which is almost inevitable around bournmouth) its often the car in front / near you that would trigger the device.
    Radar traps also emit a continuous signal.

I know because my best freind for 15 yrs is also a cop (and is really quite sensible about traffic laws).

He hates the ' camera nazis' as he calls them (council run rather than police run) as much as i do. The other day thay tried to insist on fining him for speeding even though he was on a blue light call. They said that at the time his lights wernt flashing - they really are a bunch of nuggets.