Hit A F'ing Rock & Tyre Is Screwed! Is It Really Bad?

emzino

Reaction score
As the title suggests, coasting home after work today and felt a fat bump from top left of the car. Wasn't a ditch but musta been some big stone/rock. Either way it shook me up so got home and looked at it to find this:

It's like theres a bubble within the tyre. Is it gonna burst? Should I change it ASAP?

I can't believe it. I ALWAYS keep an eye out on the road and make sure I don't hit anything. ****** camoflauging stones! :motz: :mad: :keule:

Looks like some wall damage there, get it checked out and keep your speed down.

Just driving on it can get you 3 points...get to a tyre fitter or whatever ASAP

New tyre mine went the same a few weeks ago.

Damnit :( Hope it don't cost alot. Ideally i'd like to change them all to RS6's 18" because that's what I want to do anyway but just haven't got the money right now.

Well thanks for the headsup, looks like its gonna get changed. I'll keep you guys posted.

Yep, bad news - New tyre and as said, get it off the car as soon as possible

had exactly the same thing happen to my last A3 when it was a week old - drove over a full brick at 30 - i swerved but not quite enough and it caught the tyre - bubbled in exactly the same way - luckily it didn't leave any identifying marks that something had hit it so got it changed under warranty (just said it went like that on its own!)

Well hopefully my local decent garage can fit me some a 2nd hand tyre. Don't wanna spend too much on it.

It's such a nusense. The last thing I need :( Ah well.

Thanks again :) been really helpful

emzino said:
Well hopefully my local decent garage can fit me some a 2nd hand tyre. Don't wanna spend too much on it.

It's such a nusense. The last thing I need :( Ah well.

Thanks again :) been really helpful

Your tyres are the only thing touching the ground, just remeber this when you mix and match, or run them when they are defective.

Would you drive a car when you know it had faulty brakes or broken suspension, yet these components depend on the tyres to do there job.

My option is you need to replace the pair, and fit them on the rear, (as you manual will advise) fitting the older pair on the front.

This is only an option, it's your car.

Chris.

Ok how about this. I want to get a remap soon. Now is it wise to get them with my 17" or should I get my 18's then get the remap.
So basically what order should it be?

1) Remap > 18's
2) 18's > Remap

HeliChris said:
My option is you need to replace the pair, and fit them on the rear, (as you manual will advise) fitting the older pair on the front.

Surely it would be cheaper to just replace the defective tyre with the same type as the rest thats fitted?

Von Maximo said:
Surely it would be cheaper to just replace the defective tyre with the same type as the rest thats fitted?

Cheaper yes, but tyres should be replaced as a pair because of different rolling diameters (not so much of a problem on the rear of a fwd car) and different levels of grip (in the wet and dry) which upsets the balances of the car. If it was a quattro it should be four tyres needing replacement.

For me, tyres are the most important part of a car, the way the car feels, goes and stops is totally dependent of the tyres, but it's not my car.

Chris.

Have looked hard on here for the post, but there was a big argument about swapping just one...Haldex's own website suggests that there will be absolutely no problem with stress on the Haldex etc. by replacing just one tyre and it won't affect it's operating efficiency one bit....

Ideally on a quattro I would have both tyres on the same axle done at the same time, if only to avoid any pulling to one side when driving in a straight line...

I have driven a number of performance vehicles for long periods of time at rediculous speeds that have either full time AWD or using the haldex type system, that spend their entire life having only one tyre changed at a time, and I cannot perceive any change to the actual handling, and the majority of these vehicles run on their weight limit...

Well put Normski

I understand the fact that on paper you should change both tyres, But in a practical world tyres aint cheap and unless the other tyre's got less than say 500miles I wouldn't change it and I dont think many other people would.

Call it ignorance if you want or being a tight tw*t but I just see the benifit of the added expense. Although if I had money to burn I would

"If possible, tyres should be replaced at least in pairs and not individually (i.e. both front tyres or both rear tyres together)" - Audi A3 Owners Manual

I also have may years of high performance car driving and for ME tyres are changed in pairs, as advised by Audi, I am sure most drivers could not even tell the difference in grip with tyre temps and the pressure changes caused by temp / altitude. This is why "feel" is being removed from cars by engineers, and replaced with electric power steering systems :puke2:

The A3/S3 tyres are cheap, in comparison to some road cars I have owned, that needed a new set every 4-6K miles at a cost £1500 plus fitting, thank god I only used that car at the weekend :)

See the black rubber mark on the rim ?
I get those all the time on my 18" S-line wheels.
Have done since new,no matter what tyres are fitted.
What a pain in the arris they are to get off !!!
Alloy wheel cleaner won't shift them,so I usually have to use something mildly abrasive,like the rough side of a kitchen sponge.
Sometimes,my finger nails.
Never had alloy rims mark with the car's own tyres before,but I've never had 18" wheels with tiny sidewalls before.

One of those abrasive pad/sponge things for non stick pans is ideal for cleaning marks of alloys... And only about 60p for a pack of 2...

Going back to the black rubber marks on the rim,I get marks that are easily as bad as the mark in the photo on a weekly basis.
I don't get any tyre damage though.
I don't even notice hitting huge bumps that make me wince.
Normal ?
Pressures are checked weekly and are always spot on (38 psi in the front)

I don't get any on my new car, as I tend to be very careful on anything that might squish the tyre up around the alloy.

But I can see why you get it Bowfer, on my old Passat I just hit everything without too much care because I didn't want to keep the car, and the alloys were covered in these marks...