1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hissing over spearkers etc (car computer)

mordz May 25, 2007

1. mordz

mordz Audi S3 (2000)

hi guys, i have recently updated my car computer to a full indash one (it has its own onboard amp etc and is very well made - just a standard iso multiblock on the back.

as my car is bose amplified i purchased the PC9-408 to enable me to connect the aplified speaker outs to the bose amp.

anywas i get noise all the time even if mute the pc, noise when i move the mouse or the is HDD activity. i removed the harness adapror and tried that and got same issue.

people have mentioned bad ground or a ground loop to me before but since im not using RCA's i cant put in an inline ground loop isolator. but i have checked all my grounds and there are good.

i just wondered if anyone had any suggestions?

Thanks

Alex

2. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The PC9-408 includes a hi-lo converter (takes amplified signal back down to pre-amp signal) so this is the major cause of hiss. Swap it for a PC9-410 and it should improve things, but you'll need to use pre-out level output from the PC i.e. Headphone socket if it doesn't have proper pre-outs.
    Any other issues will be down to the quality of the PC. Shyte components to keep costs down = electrically noisy operation and there's no way round that.
    Really cannot understand why anyone would want a PC in there car, they'll probably be the next thing on the list of banned items after mobile phones and smoking.

3. mordz

mordz Audi S3 (2000)

each to there own matey ;)

i have both adaptors, reason i have now swapped to the 408 is becuase the new PC doesnt have a pre out, its all amplifide just like a normo HU,

i took the 408 out and wierd direct but got the same results. unfortunatly the pc has no line out, just the amplified speaker outs.

have a look here

http://www.cartft.com/catalog/item/?wm_item_id=770

4. MiT

MiT Work Hard, Play harder!!

There are a few advantage, but everyone has there own idea. :)

(Did you know Microsoft are working with Ford to make cars with pcs pre-built it.)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6240479.stm

Next big thing carpcs are :cool:

Mordz, i was going to say grounding, but i guess you already covered that. I have no idea.

[off topic]you cheat, why go with the pre-built pc, whats wrong with the current system? [/offtopic]

5. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Just what I want, a HU that takes over a minute to boot up, plagued with interference, does everything, but pretty badly, and crashes every 3 days.
    PC's are great for most things, but in a car are just another gimmick.

6. MiT

MiT Work Hard, Play harder!!

lol. :)