Hissing noise at idle from right hand side of car?

jdjames13

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have literally no mechanical experience however I purchased a car under warranty recently and want to iron out any issues.

One noticeable one was a hissing noise like air was leaking at idle.

Some things I have noticed
- only hear it from the driver side not on the passenger side
- I can only hear it on idle
- the noise stops after the engine turns off so it's not an air leak from the tyres

Fuel line maybe? But a lot of what I read regarding the fuel line and fuel pump comes from issues under acceleration and particularly on the passenger side.
I haven't had the window open much but don't hear the sound when accelerating.

Any ideas?

Not the 8v but my previous car was an 8p s3 and there was a known issue with seals in the brake servo leaking, put your foot on the brake pedal and see if the noise goes away,

Not the 8v but my previous car was an 8p s3 and there was a known issue with seals in the brake servo leaking, put your foot on the brake pedal and see if the noise goes away,

Just checked and it still occurs when applying the brake pedal :(

Any other ideas guys? i find it strange that it got serviced by Audi with the health check and they didn't pick it up.

Sure it's not just from the coolant bottle? if it's to full it will blow off.

Yeah its absolutely clear under the bonnet. I only hear it when i lay down next to the side skirts on the driver side.

It's not a snake is it . .

Reactions: Neil C and Martinbanshee
Sounds like you're possibly trying a bit TOO hard to find issues with the car.
Well i have 3 months warranty where they'll fix any issues so i'd rather do it now than let it go in 6 months and pay for it.

I agree, catch anything now so you don't pay later, it's easy to get carried away though.
It sounds like the fuel pump to me and totally normal but it's hard to say without hearing it. If you get some video/audio and post it here it might help identify the noise.

Reactions: RSS-S3
I've got the same thing, 1.6tdi manual. Not a constant tone hiss, but intermittent, more like sputtering.
I figured it was normal, seems like it's not :eek:

Also, doesn't always do it, only when warm if I remember correctly.

All newer VAG TDI's have noisy fuel pumps which is at one side of the car towards the rear(near fuel tank)

Nothing to worry about, unless its unbearably loud Or you have signs of leaking or engine issues.