Hill hold assist

geo_nr1

Reaction score
I am trying to work out a final spec for and RS. I have a DSG golf r without hold assist and it doesn't roll back on hills. I was always under the impression that automatics didn't roll back? Is hold assist a complete waste of cash?

It's more than just hill hold, its just hold assist on the RS3.

It lets you take your foot off the brake in drive and not roll forward or back until you blip the throttle. I had it on my SQ5 (also an auto) and it's very good.

Also - remember that your Golf and the RS3 are not auto's they are DSG/S-Tronic, so if you come of the brake quickly before giving the car a chance to lift the clutch it will roll back. If you come of the brake gently it will bring the clutch to biting point to prevent roll back on most hills - though a steep one it will still roll back without hold assist.

Reactions: Yorrick
If you have the latest Golf R I'm pretty sure they have this as standard and isn't an option.

If you have to pay for it, I don't see the point. Presumably it's for when you're creeping around, in which case just use the brake more carefully (to prevent lunging forward) or move your foot a bit more quickly from the brake to the accelerator (to prevent going backwards).

When I test drove the Golf R VII with it, I think it made starting and stopping on hills more jerky. Surely no one struggles when driving a DSG?!

Agree, I've managed the R without and I'm thinking of the fun I could have with £90 of petrol :racer: