High pitched noise when on high boost

Tim_Attard

Reaction score
Hi guys, ive noticed i get a noise thats quite high pitched when going above 10-12psi boost and stays all the way up to 18psi. it also seems to be getting worse any ideas got a feeling it might be the turbo :( car has done 112k

failing turbo is a probable cause but ive seen on more than one a boost leak is the issue..

Reactions: Paradox1
is there anyway to test the turbo? will have a look for leaks, how much would a new turbo be roughly?

ok, didn't have a chance to look for a leak and then the dv hose popped of the ic pipping 3rd time its happened now because the nipple on the pipe hasn't got the lip? anyway i can make one? also the turbo is still making the noise its like a whining when it spools not the normal spooling noise so my question how difficult is it to rebuild the turbo? and for that matter taking the turbo off?

guessing its an s3? if so looking at 4 hours to remove the turbo first time mate, done from above and through the drivers wheel arch with the driveshaft out the way, one of my posts tells exactly how i done it. new turbo is around 600 quid, best off sourcing a reconditioned one but make sure its a genuine ko4 donning the blue tag as theres alot of chinese copys out there that arnt as good quality like mine! assuming it is actually your turbo off course.