1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

high pitch droaning noise from wheels

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by j4g3d, Aug 21, 2007.

1. j4g3d

j4g3d Member

[Aug 21, 2007]
    Every know and again im getting a high pitched what i can only discribe as a droaning noise. It isnt there ALL the time, i can drive for miles and miles before it does it then it suddenly stops randomly.

Sounds like its coming from the rear wheel if i hear the noise then turn slightly left or right the noise dissapears?!?! if i brake very gently the noise dissapears? noise is only there when driving in a straight line... any ideas? could it be bearings? only i thought bearings get louder when you turn left or right??
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. rodenal

rodenal Active Member

[Aug 21, 2007]
    Could be a bearing, if its at the rear its not gonna get any louder when turning as only the fronts do anything differently.

Also check for anything caught up in the hubs etc. Could also maybe be tyres
  4. j4g3d

j4g3d Member

[Aug 21, 2007]
    Oh right... only my mates alfa rear wheel bearing went and it was louder when you turnt left.... thought might be same on the audi?
  5. Aky

Aky Aky

[Aug 21, 2007]
    the mrs? Sorry couldn't resist
  6. j4g3d

j4g3d Member

[Sep 4, 2007]
    right..

this is the situation.. i drive for 15 minutes fine then the noise comes constant high pitch droaning noise. i turn left and its stil there i turn right and it goes away. jacked car up no real movement in wheels only a tiny bit on the front o/s i honestly cant pin point if the noise is from o/s front or rear 3 other people tried to hear but nothing. All mechanics ive went to have driven the car for 2 minutes and therefore the noise isnt there as you need to drive for 15 minutes. mechanics tried ripping me off saying its definatly the caliper it needs cleaning and tried charging £25, If it was a dirty caliper it would make a noise straight away from driving not 15/20 mins from driving.

Anyone?
  7. jesters3

jesters3 Active Member VCDS Map User

[Sep 5, 2007]
    You sure it has nothing to do with your tyres? Could be high and lows spots? When up at APS a while back PaulS3 mentioned about Goodyear F1s and the fact that they 'droned' on journeys. I dismissed such claim as I had them on the S3 at the time and heard nothing. However over time this sound did appear and it really did make an absolute racket. The tyres were worn down; still had some tread left but due a change. Changed them and the noise miracously disappeared!

If not the tyre then more likely to be a bearing.
  8. j4g3d

j4g3d Member

[Sep 8, 2007]
    cheers

i have random makes on my 18s but the N/S rear tyre is prob below the legal limit now so need to change that where as the others are on 4mm ish. will change and try. Not got goodyears on though.
  9. j4g3d

j4g3d Member

[Sep 11, 2007]
    Could it be knackered discs?? or maybe warped discs?
  10. steebo888

steebo888 Member

[Sep 11, 2007]
    sounds like that 1 tyre could be causing it
  11. j4g3d

j4g3d Member

[Sep 11, 2007]
    Got the tyre off today had 1mm left DOH! got a goodyear put on and it SEEMS as though the noise has gone.. very strange?
  12. j4g3d

j4g3d Member

[Sep 13, 2007]
    It was my rear discs... Funny how no mechanic could tell me this, Had to find this out for myself.

Gone go back to repairing my own cars myself now i think!