High mileage?

PorkyWill

Reaction score
What is high mileage for an S3?

I've seen one I like the look of that has 85000 on it?

If this is fully serviced and looked after ie cambelt etc, should it be ok?

My own car (not an s3) has done 95k and to be honest whilst solid and in no danger of falling apart everything feels like its done nearly 100k - Whereas one of my friends had an S3 with 150k on it and it felt very very tight, if you had clocked it to 50k there wouldnt have been any way of knowing, not even any wear on the wheel or seats.

Guess it depends on the car, mine's has maybe been ragged before i got it

mine still feels very solid at 104k, but then has had new clutch/flywheel, cambelt, waterpump, roll bars/bushes, drop links, brakes, and is booked in for thermostat and oil pump (precautionary change for the oil pump)

My 52 reg S3 has done 94k, uses no oil or water and runs fine but it did have a new cylinder head at 86k due to a snapped cambelt.

I think S3's are very capable of high mileage but need really looking after, some cars like nissan micras can be abused daily and keep going, S3's need a bit of respect being a performance car.

Mines done 80k, I spent quite a bit on the big (80) service, but in my case the car looks and feels like a new car and I'm very very happy with it.

btw its a 2000 plate 210 with revo and DV, simply but effective.

I guess it all depends on maintenance history and levels of abuse over the years.

I'd be very wary of how a higher milleage car drove, the milleage wouldn't bother me as long as it wasn't burning much oil, and was good to drive.

I'd actually be a lot MORE nervous of a very low milleage car from what I reckon S3s do not like short journeys especially when people don't wait for them to warm up.

Cheers for the advice!

It has had the cambelt/water pump done at 60k(ish), is there another big service required at 80k? As this has done 85k it may be worth worrying/negotiating?