1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hids

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Chappy, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Chappy

Chappy Call me Dan :)

[Aug 6, 2011]
    Hey people,Sorry to start another hid thread. I know installing hids on the standard wiring causes the wiper motor to blow but what about a wiring harness so they take their power directly from the battery? Anyone tried this?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 30, 2014]

3. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

[Aug 6, 2011]
    IIRC its not just the power, its the surge through the canbus wiring. You need this connected too or the lights probably wont work as the CE wont power them.

At risk of sounding blunt, do it right or not at all. If you modify the wiring to suit xenons your going to have to swap everything back when you get it MOTd and without having the correct diffused lights you may end up with an incorrect beam pattern that can blind other road users.
  4. Chappy

[Aug 6, 2011]
    But with the harness, the power comes from the battery and the only connection to the lights is when you switch them on, it flicks a relay and then powers the hids from the battery. I had to do this on my 09 golf.
  5. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

[Aug 6, 2011]
    If you bypass the CE you will get errors on the DIS saying bulbs out too. Im sure I read somewhere adding an extra earth direct to the headlights it helps.
  6. Chappy

[Aug 6, 2011]
    Yeah, a lad off the golf forum added bi-xenons to his golf and put 100w resistors in lieu of the full beam to fool the CE. So I suppose earthing the hids on the body rather then the bulb connector could in theory avoid the problem?