HIDS + cooling fan...

Steffgj

Reaction score
Am I imagining that I've seen a thread on this before?

Fitted HID's today and on the short test run I took this evening the fans were running constantly which is not normal... coincidence?!

Do not use hids they will burn connector on the bulb and fry your lighting ecu ,been there got T-shirt ,pics of damaged ecu are on here somewhere!!!!!

Do not use hids they will burn connector on the bulb and fry your lighting ecu ,been there got T-shirt ,pics of damaged ecu are on here somewhere!!!!!

Really? The A4 projector headlights are designed to take HIDs though? They even have the moulding on the bottom of the housing to take an HID ballast?

Well I'm speaking from experience ,its your choice but I warned you.The semiconductors in the ecm don't like it and go tits up ,I've done quite a few!

Last edited:
Well I'm speaking from experience ,its your choice but I warned you.The semiconductors in the ecm don't like it and go tits up ,I've done quite a few!

I've had HIDs in mine for the last year with no problems, I thought the only known issue with fitting HIDs was that it caused the wiper motors to blow on some models (not on the B6 though as far as I'm aware).

Although I did buy a high quality digital ballast kit with CANBUS circuitry so maybe that plays nicer with the ECU? Who knows!

Boy I got lucky. I had HID's in my old A4 and A6 for about 5 years.