1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HIDDEN DANGERS OF TUNING AND REMAPPING

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by shady-ninja, Sep 19, 2011.

1. shady-ninja

shady-ninja Member

2. Adamantium

Adamantium Member

There's some common sense and some marketing drivel in there. No harm in learning to be cautious but I know of some excellent mappers who work on such consistent files that their base map, which is plug and play is 98% there and takes less than a minute to upload. He also neglects to mention the advance in technology of the ecu that means it constantly monitors knock limits and controls the ignition at all times using negative feedback to ensure it is as efficient as possible. He also doesn't mention the megabytes of correction tables and compensations held in the stock ecu that are not overwritten when the base map is changed and therefore keeps most of the safeguards in place.

Even if you input unrealistic ignition timing and fuelling values into the map, both are controlled independently to stop you getting in too much trouble. What it means is you'll bounce off the knock limit and the ecu will compensate by removing more timing than is necessary. You'll feel it by way of a lack of torque, but may still be better off than a stock map. Equally if you under fuel, you'll run lean and hot and then probably det again, but the safety nets are in place. It may not be a great map, but these days on modern engines (especially bosch and unisia JECS controlled cars) it is much harder to make a map dangerous. That's why I resent the implication that cheap mapping will result in more gearboxes and engine replacements. Maybe in one off worst case scenerios, but on the whole it will probably mean it is slightly slower and less fuel efficient than someone else's. I hate to admit it but 99% of mapping is not rocket science, and a basic understanding of fundamentals as well as the hardware to do it, means anyone can have a go. Add in closed loop wideband lambda and even a novice can get great results.

It's also a bit weak to suggest that upgrading/diagnostics through the obd2 port mean mapping is possible. if anything, modern ecus are MUCH more resistant to hacking than older ecus. It takes real skill to hack the code to allow you access and reflashing and shouldn't be casually underestimated. Just ring up ECUTEK and ask them how easy their job is!

I'm not taking away from the real mappers here but it's wrong to say that they must be useless if they are cheap. They are cheap because they are probably stolen, and that's axeeason not to buy them but for me that's a moral ground rather than a technical one.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  3. Dannykn9

Dannykn9 "Cruise My Ride"

What Adam said!!:confused:
  4. devonmikeyboy

devonmikeyboy As far from JBS as possible !

I agree with what Adem said as well. ECUTEK do some great work and seem to be able to hack any ECU even the Nissan GTR one.