1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HID/XENON Front Fogs

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Cmann78, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Cmann78

Cmann78 Member

Has anyone on here (... and I'm sure there is...) upgraded their front fogs to HID/xenon to match their headlamps?

If so, what kit did you use and where from?

Thanks in advance.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. PH1L

PH1L Gievf Buckets
    VCDS Map User

theres a few of the us members running these

4. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat
    Site Sponsor Gold Supporter VCDS Map User

Question would be, why would you need them as driving around with xenon fogs seems daft to me unless you live in an extremely foggy area most of the year, oem's work perfectly well & if you want a colour match just find some different bulbs with the tint.

5. smudge_don

smudge_don Active Member

Obviously one of these people who think that running around with sidelights and foglights on is cool.......

On a serious note, having xenons/HIDs in fog lights and using them properly in foggy conditions will be a waste of time. It has been proved that the colour of light and the intensity in normal fog lights make the road more visible than HIDs/xenons.

You know when you stick full beam on in the fog, and you just get blinded by the light reflecting off the fog back into the car? The same thing will happen with xenon fog lights as the intensity of the light will just reflect off the fog and back into your eyes

Pointless mod if you ask me

6. NHN

You know what Jord, thats one of the most sensible & informative posts I've ever read from you :p

Nah on serious note & totally agree on this, your just creating issues for yourself.

7. Matt_

Matt_ Member

Where do you get your tinted filiments from? for sidelights and driving lights?
    Am i correct in thinking the fogs use the same filiment as the driving lights?

Cheers, Matt

8. PH1L

PH1L Gievf Buckets
    VCDS Map User

cheers for saving me the effort of explaining that

9. smudge_don

smudge_don Active Member

This house malarky has turned me into a wise man.......ish :laugh:

:laugh: someone had to, it's a stupid idea

10. NHN

Ish, you're a completely different man, what have you done to our old china jord, release him from his torment lmfao

11. Khufu

Khufu Well-Known Member

Had my A3 two and a half years & never needed my fog lights LOL. As above & plus a £30 a time fine for needless use :busted_cop:

12. Cmann78

Cmann78 Member

Well, no actually.... I just wondered if there was a way of all the lights on the front having the same 'hue', what with having Led DRL'S, and Xenon headlamps just thought it would be nice to have crisp white fogs rather than the yellowish given off by a regular bulb. I DON'T want the 'xenon look' blue bulbs you can get as they are particularly chavtastic and can be seen when the lights are off.

I understand what you're saying about HID's being so bright it would make things worse, not better.

#11 Cmann78, Sep 28, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  13. xnox202

xnox202 Member

Although I have HID kit in my Fogs, it's not recommended and personally thinking it does blind other road users. I've yet to see a Projector type foglamps for the A3 as it'll help quite abit in reducing glare as opposed to Reflector type foglamps.

But if you insist, to match the beams you'll need 4,500k.

14. NHN

& how many people drive around looking at your unused foglights going ah he's a chav, lmfao, be serious man.

15. zed

zed New Member

I've been considering the same thing as the OP for my Q7. I too prefer the HID/Xenon look to match my head lights, but my use of fog lights is different. I have never ever used fog lamps, whether foggy or not for the reason that I really don't think they improve my vision of what's ahead of me.

My fogs come on when I open my doors with the remote and are really handy for lighting up the area around the car for convenience, security and safety.

I'm still interested in hearing peoples recommendations!

16. PH1L

PH1L Gievf Buckets
    VCDS Map User

cant you just change the comming home coding to put your headlights on instead, saves yourself a lot of money

17. zed

zed New Member

I probably could (didn't even know that was an option to be honest), but the fogs light up the ground close to the car better than the Q7 headlamps.

Well that's my excuse anyway.