1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hid Who has what and where ?

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by paul20v, Jun 21, 2009.

1. paul20v

paul20v Audi fanatic

[Jun 21, 2009]
    Hi
    i have searched but theres no definate answers to these questions ?

Who has what HID kit in terms of make and supplier obviously trouble free,
    also where has everyone fitted the ballasts
    im having the dash abs christmas tree lighting problem with the set i have now
    which are supposedly can bus friendly etc etc

some definate answers would be great thanks in advance
    Paul.:sos:
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jun 21, 2009]
    There don't seem to be any definitive answers when it comes to HID's sadly. I bought a fairly cheap set from China over two years ago, and the ballasts lasted over 18 months (recently one failed so I replaced both with a slimline set) - and touch wood the bulbs have been fine. I have never had a bulb out warning from either them or my LED sidelights, but I know I have been lucky. There is a way over overcoming the DIS warning, but I personally am not sure how.

As per ballast location, mine are just tucked neatly out of side near the bulkhead , but I think the ultimate is as per Woorlord's thread, hiding them in the back of the headlight unit.

HTH a little!
  4. BahnStormer77

BahnStormer77 BahnStormer

[Jun 22, 2009]
    interesting stuff: I saw an article somewhere that stated that "all retro-fit bulb-kits are illegal".... a bit sensationalist and poorly researched, but I've dug around a LOT more and technically it was almost right:

Check here for the legal definition.

Here's the DVLA's own summary (with my "chirps" in italics)..
    "1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory. Read: use a proper HID projector lens and NOT the fragmented lens ala Mk3 Golf.
    2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam. Read: self levelling, washers and no funky light patterns.
    3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.
    Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal."
  5. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jun 22, 2009]
    Yes I have seen that before, unless you have electronic (automatic) headlamp levelling and washers then HID's are technically illegal. A lot of people think that just because they pass the MoT they are legal, but thats not the case.

Personally I feel that as long as you have well adjusted HID's in a projector lens and they aren't too blue (much above 6000k I imagine) then I can't see you would have any problems with the Police.
  6. BahnStormer77

BahnStormer77 BahnStormer

[Jun 22, 2009]
    you're probably right, but worth bearing in mind...

as you said: well maintained (levelled) and clean and you're probably within the spirit of the law (and unlikely to be stopped), if not the letter of the law.

worth checking of they scatter the HID light if they get dirty though!

fyi - blue light = more likely to get pulled by the cops, but altually much lower light....