1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HID light kit?

jbaudi May 29, 2012

1. jbaudi

jbaudi Member

Can anyone recommend a nice 6k HID kit for the a3?

Thanks

2. mike foster

mike foster Fossie VCDS Map User

Read the 'Sticky' - HID wiper motor problem.

3. Dannykn9

Dannykn9 "Cruise My Ride" VCDS Map User

No no no no no no no no AND NO!!!
    Don't do it, as Mike said, BIG wiper motor problems causing them to blow.
    Read sticky!

4. cmgreen

cmgreen Member

Mot failure!

5. jbaudi

jbaudi Member

wiper motor!? that sounds random.. can you just not do HID bulbs in an A3 then?

6. jbaudi

jbaudi Member

p.s. will read the sticky when I can but it's hard to at work!!

7. mike foster

Yes you can if you buy OEM equipment together with self levelling sensors and headlamp washers. Otherwise MOT fail !

Wiper motor failure is NOT random but you will see that when you read the sticky. Be sure to read it all.

8. jbaudi

jbaudi Member

will do later when Im home!

For now though, are there any companies that do a kit that includes all those bits? Or anyone that will do the conversion for me?

9. mike foster

To my knowledge there are no 'companies' that do a full kit of parts but I know of at least one member of this forum that can and will carry out the conversion. There may be others but it will entail installing all OEM equipment including a new front bumper (unless you want to try and carve the holes for the headlamp washers yourself)

I wouldn't like to hazard a guess at the price but I can't see much change out of a grand !

10. sachen

sachen Member

As people have said above, don't bother with after market! I did the same when I bought my A3 and wasn't a member on ASN... couple of days later when it was raining cats and dogs, i realised i couldn't see and the wipers decided not to work. Replacement wiper motors arent the cheapest either...

Aftermarket HIDs are now a MOT failure anyway, unless you get the full OEM install which can cost a few bob!

11. Acheron

Acheron Active Member

Ran an HID kit in my A3 for 2 years without an issue with the wipers. Make sure you buy a digital CAN-BUS compatible kit, not one that requires cancellers/resistors to function.

12. FranA3

FranA3 FMDETAILING Regional Rep Site Sponsor Gold Supporter Audi A3 Team Brill Red

read the sticky thats what its there for

13. jbaudi

jbaudi Member

i do read them when im at home and have the time, but I can't sit here in the office for hours reading!

Thanks for the advice all, I don't think ill bother.. it was just a 'would have been nice if it was easy' type mod

14. Ash187

Ash187 Audi-Retrofits.co.uk Site Sponsor VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro Audi A5

Hi mate,

if you want xenons then i would be able to install the full OEM xenon headlights with the Xenon bulbs.
    Unfortunately as there is a known issue with the HID kits i refuse to install them as i dont want to be responsable for someones wiper motor being blown and subsiquently a nice £300 bill to repair it.
    everyone here is just looking out for you as we have seen it happen so many times before.