1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hid kits

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Andyroo83, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Andyroo83

Andyroo83 Member

Are these kits anygood off ebay? Do they just plug in and play? Are they used instead of the main beam bulb?

SPanks!
  2. Mikemc

Mikemc Active Member

I've had a set on my old Clio, but since buying an audi and coming on here, I've read they damage your wiper motor. If you also do a search you'll find a thread about H7r bulbs which have a loom which "apparently" prevents this and has a sort of black ring on the bulbs to prevent blinding on comers.

I don't think anyone has tested these bulbs yet though to see if they work but there around 150 quid iirc
  3. southylad

southylad Member

I had a cheap kit on my passat for 2 years no probs you put them on the dipped beam normally but you can have them on both as above i have read that on the audi they damage the wiper motor as the share a comon earth
  4. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

Some of the ebay kits are utter ****, and most of the bulbs are fairly rubbish, because the salts required to make good quality bulbs are expensive.

Theres also various legal issues to deal with (though many people simply ignore)

Personally, i'd try to use as many OEM components as you can. You can get used ballasts for £30ish if you know what ones you need. I'd want to use genuine Osram D2S bulbs and use a converter plate to allow them to fit into your halogen projector.

If you have old reflector headlamps then you really shouldnt be fitting them at all, upgrade to facelift lamps, then convert those.
  5. Andyroo83

Andyroo83 Member

Ive read some of the old msgs on forum about them. Think i may pass on them. And eventually upgrade headlamps. Just that the older headlamp are utter ****. Ive upgraded bulbs on them and still ****.
  6. Oranoco

Oranoco Well-Known Member

I obtained my kit from Amazon of all places. Can't fault it really. Have to on large agree with aragorns comments.
  7. jcb

jcb Active Member

have two kits from HIDsdirect
    about £50 IIRC had a ballast replaced under warranty early on but otherwise faultless

connectors can be a bit cheap but a zip tie and or some tape sorted them
  8. Ben S3 8P3

Ben S3 8P3 Member

Ive bought a few sets of HID's in the past from the HIDs Direct shop near Manchester. They have a website here - HIDS DIRECT LTD Store

They are also good for other LED bulbs etc
  9. blazedani

blazedani Member

Aftermarket HID kits only damage the wiper motor in this vehicles:
    - Audi A3 8P (almost all of them)
    - Golf V (lower rate)
    - Seat Leon mk2
    - Peugeot 407
    - Volvo S40

For the Audi A4 any aftermarket HID is 100% safe. No matter the quality of the HID it will never blow away your wiper motor.
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2013