HID Installation

b19rak

Reaction score
Bought some HIDs of ebay after doing some research for ones that won't give me any dashboard areas. £140 later they arrived today and i'm planning to fit them later this week.

Can anyone send me the installation link please. I know how im going to do it but some reference would be good. Cheers.

He means the DIS won't give a bulb out warning if the HID's are fitted, as this can happen sometimes.

In regards to fitting the HID's, it's a piece of ****. It may look daunting at first but it literally took me 2 mins to connect everything up. The hardest part is deciding where to mount the ballasts.

When I got my HIDs and opened the box it looked complicated but connecting everything together was easier than I thought. The wiring connects like a jigsaw so its fool proof. There's a guide here. http://www.lltek.com/about_HID.htm

Hids fitted, look amazing. Took the clusters out to do the wiring. There is no room to on the drivers side to install it kept in.
Was pretty straight forward but maounting the ballasts was a ball ache. I've tie cliped them onto the back of the light covers for now. May move them to somewhere more secure soon. Any ideas?

By the way, these HIDs worked fine with no dashboard errors. Bought of Ebay for £130 and supplied with HID look sidelight bulbs too.

golf said:
He means the DIS won't give a bulb out warning if the HID's are fitted, as this can happen sometimes.

In regards to fitting the HID's, it's a piece of ****. It may look daunting at first but it literally took me 2 mins to connect everything up. The hardest part is deciding where to mount the ballasts.

Any chance you can post some pics of your ballast mountings? Mine could do with tidying up but not sure where to put them.

Mine could do with tidying up too, they're attached with cable ties and not the metal brackets, so I'm not sure how much use a picture would be!

I've attached mine to the underside of the headlight where the factory fitted ones are. Took a bit of fettling with a dremel, but now they're in you can't tell they're not genuine. Also you can still take the headlight out to change the other bulbs in the light.........Go on ...be brave, get the trusty dremel out ! !!

Im after a hid conversion for my dads 04 a4, do you guys know which kits to avoid and which to aim for? Obviously i want one which wont cause issues with dis etc.:readit:

I had a spare set of one of those cheapo Chinese xenon kits left from a previous car, so I connected everything up and I've never had any problems with it. No bulb out warnings and no flickering. I'm fairly happy seeing as though I got the set for £80 on eBay. Make sure you avoid any colour over 6000k though.

Theres a set of bosch ones on there for £89 buy it now which i thought was pretty good for a good quality brand, why steer clear of 6000k+ to avoid too much chimp charriot chavness?:arco:

46TheDoctor said:
Theres a set of bosch ones on there for £89 buy it now which i thought was pretty good for a good quality brand, why steer clear of 6000k+ to avoid too much chimp charriot chavness?:arco:

This is the one i bought. You should buy of him as they are quality and he is very helpful by sending led sidelights and extension cables for the ballasts. The kit itself is superb. No errors.

6000k is acceptable in terms of colour, as the projector lens filters out any blue making the light appear white with a purple tint to it.

Those Bosch ones seem like a good deal.

With these aftermarket kits, will they get through the MOT? The reason I ask is that I understand you need headlamp washers and auto levelling if they are fitted in the factory (not sure if this applies to the aftermarket).

Without having this auto levelling fitted, are you liable to blind people with these HID bulbs? Can they become unlevel fairly easily? How do you install them so they are level to start with?

May sound like silly questions, but a total HID novice here.

i had aftermarket xenon lights on my 2000 model a4 and it passed 3 mot,s with them on