1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HID fitting - help required

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by jbcalvin, Feb 5, 2011.

1. jbcalvin

jbcalvin Member

[Feb 5, 2011]
    Hi guys,

Finally got all the stuff ready for my headlight replacement and about to follow Woorlord's guide, however......

It turns out my kit from HIDsdirect doesn't have slimline ballasts... bugger....:banghead:

It looks as though they will fit into the recess under the headlights, however the recess is 18mm deep but the ballasts are 24mm deep....

Is there a gap under the headlight for this extra 6mm when fitted into the car or do i have the hassle of sending this kit back and re-ordering one with slimline ballasts, was really hoping to get the job done this weekend...:crying:
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 29, 2014]

3. boya

boya Member

[Feb 5, 2011]
    There isn't room mate, my kit had full size ballasts and I mounted them in the inner wing,
  4. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Feb 5, 2011]
    From memory you should have some spare space to fit the larger ballasts, I think there should be sufficient space under the light unit. It should only take you ten mins to take one light out and double check though.
  5. quattrojames

[Feb 5, 2011]
    Haha thats a contradiction then!

I'm only guessing, so if boya is speaking from experience then I'd go with his advice.
  6. boya

boya Member

[Feb 5, 2011]
    Ha ha, the light slides into a kind of holder and this holder touches the bottom of the headlight where the ballasts sit, please double check on your car though as it was over 9 month ago when I done mine.
  7. jbcalvin

jbcalvin Member

[Feb 5, 2011]
    Right,

Just checked and whipped out the drivers side unit, boya, there is no space.... aarrrgghhhhhhhh

Right off to order a slimline kit and hopefully be able to return hidsdirect kit....

cheers for the help anyway guys....
  8. bondwithme

bondwithme New Member

[Feb 5, 2011]
    Hi,

Beware of radio interference with some kits the ballasts emit static and will wipe out FM stations and there is no real cure have a google and read there is pages of it. I have 50w can bus friendly ballasts with 4300k on my sport and they look like stock best way to install is to remove the headlight from the car and drill a 20mm hole in the bottom run the cables through the hole and bolt the ballast to the inside corners where the front valance connects to the wing. You will find a nice 6mm bolt with a 10mm nut waiting to be used :) on both sides. Then tie wrap the ballast to stop any movement as they are only fitted on a centre bolt. Job can be done in about 1hr and if done this way when opening the bonnet nothing is visible. Sides are 8 led 501's with onboard chip to prevent can bus errors. I have very minimal radio interference but have had ballasts in the past that have knocked out my FM reception really bad....be warned
  9. jbcalvin

jbcalvin Member

[Feb 5, 2011]
    Cheers bondwithme,

Actually mounting the ballasts in the oem section on the underside of the light unit as per Woorlords guide.... also screening the cables/unit to prevent this happening as well as the occasional effects on the crash sensors....

Would be a bit wary of small ballasts emitting enough static to affect the FM reception as I have an avant and the aerials in the rear windows... nobody else here has reported this issue either...

Steve
  10. quattrojames

[Feb 5, 2011]
    I have an FM transmittor for my Ipod, and it will buzz for the first 30 secs when I turn the lights on, but then disappears. I never have any trouble listening to a proper station.

My ballasts are mounted up near the bulkhead out of the way.