1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi wrong place but no-one posts in Audi classic and you use the same engine in A3/S3?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by A WithE, Sep 25, 2011.

1. A WithE

A WithE New Member

Hi all I just bought a nice mint condition 1998 Audi 80 Cabriolet... the 2.8 V6 version and just like to know what are the best mods for improving performance i.e enlarged TB, induction kit, exhaust/tubular manifolds remap etc and if the engine handles any modifications well? Im looking for 220+ BHP what you reckon the cost and how?
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  2. beanoir

beanoir Sharpest Tongue in the West

I didn't think there was an 8L A3 V6. The 2.8 was used in the B5 A4 though I think?
  3. Powelly

Powelly Member

Completely wrong area mate, A3/S3's dont use the 2.8 V6, Try the A4 forum, I had the same engine in mine and the general consensus is mainly supercharging, Brings them up around 300bhp with supporting mods, expensive though!
  4. Andrew@A.L.D

Andrew@A.L.D Cylinder Head Master

I'm not sure of the mapping capability but just go down the lines of N/A tuning like you said inc

Cams, head work, ITB's? or even engine conversions using modern day audi engines
  5. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

I'm afraid that engine isnt fitted in the 8l platform.
    I wonder if its basically a vr6 engine?
    If so theres so much potential for tuning. However most big power increases are through turbo charging and super charging, both being very expensive, but supercharging being the most affordable.
    if both of those are too expenaive then best way to get power from them (although not a lot) would be improving the breathing, so induction side of things, larger i-take and big cone filterl and big air duct, exhaust manifold and full syatem would also improve power, and a remap to accomodate these mods would prob see you 20hp gain, but like i said, on naturally aspirated cars the increase from a remap and bolt on mods isn't great.

If i were you id find out if its the same engine used in the mk3 golf vr6 and get onto some golf forums. Best of luck

SK
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  6. Powelly

Powelly Member

Its not the same as the Vr6, Best place i found info was on Audi world, Plenty of blokes over there with them, I only had a K&N panel filter on mine but found that helped a fair bit, Quite noticeable, Get on there and have a look around the B5 A4 section, Plenty of good helpful blokes on there, With plenty of knowledge on the engine in question!
  7. beanoir

If thats right, then its not that far different from the 3.2 V6 used in the 8P chassis if thats the case, as that is a VR6
  8. beanoir

In that case similar to the 2.6 V6 in the B4? Which means it's a real V6 and none of that VR nonsense!
  9. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

According to powelly its not, its a proper v6 lol.
    But still; same rules apply, improve the breathing of it, get it mapped. I guess the hard part for him is sourcing manifolds and other parts.
  10. Powelly

Powelly Member

Yeah its basically an updated version of the 2.6 V6 from the B4, Manifolds and stuff like that are best sourced from the US unfortunately, there isnt that much available over here off the shelf,Though Awesome might have started getting bits from ECS as they have for the 1.8T's.
  11. Inertiauk

Inertiauk Member

It will be the same engine as I have in my A4 2.8Q,

If you want to tune swap it for something with a turbo engine, the supercharger kits are very expensive, and nothing else is worth bothering with.
  12. dannyh

dannyh Nogaro S3

Isnt the 2.8 V6 out of the 4Motion golfs, could be worth a visit to Mk4's net
  13. AARON77

AARON77 Active Member

Progressive nos kit, 100bhp shot,11lb bottle in the boot
    £1100 Hey presto quick Audi
  14. jcs356

jcs356 Brum brum

Nope, this is the longitudinally mounted Audi V6 engine and is not related to the transverse VR6.