hi pitched squeeling noise when....(97 A4 1.8TQ)

ImportRacer

Reaction score
I hear this high pitched squeeling noise coming from the bottom of my car. Hard to explain the noise, but it's annoying. It only happens when I'm idle either in drive or reverese with the AC on. When I turn off the AC off or when I start driving, the noise is gone. When I put my car in nuetral or park, with the AC on, the noise is also gone. Anyone know what this could be? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I am getting a similar sound when Aircon compressor is running. I am no mechanical genius but a couple of people I have spoken to have seem to think the bearings on the aircon pump are worn. Just had a new belt and tensioner fitted so I know it isn't them. Let me know how you get on.

If the bearings are going, it won't be a hi pitched squeel, it will be a horrible rattly, grindy sound. Squeel is normally belt slippage, which would account for it stopping when you pick up speed. Belt probably needs tightening.

So, importracer, did you get it figured out? I have the same problem and it is only when the a/c is on just like your car. I took it to a mechanic and he said that it sounds more like it is coming from the tensioner pulley than the compressor pulley. It also sounds that way to me too.
The only way I can explain it is that the belt tightens up when the a/c is working harder (at idle??), hence the added tension on the pulley which causes it to make a racket.
Here in Utah, I don't use the a/c much in the winter, so I probably will wait a bit to fix it.
I'll let you know how mine goes though.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif