1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi mileage TDIs - good or bad?

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by cyberdude, Dec 2, 2003.

1. cyberdude

cyberdude Member

[Dec 2, 2003]
    as you may have seen in my previous post, I am looking for an A4. I have started considering the TDIs and was wondering if high milegae is a problem on these. I have seen some nice clean 2000 model examples but the mileage is in excess of 100K /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

An example below
    A4 1.9 TDi 110 bhp SE Red i 5 speed Finished in Pearl Silver with Special Order Nautilus Cloth interior, Audi Concert music system with Multi-play CD, four airbags, Drivers information system, 16" ten spoke SE alloy wheels, centre front armrest, climate controlled air conditioning ,60/40 split rear seats, remote alarmed central locking with engine immobiliser , four electric windows, leather steering wheel and gear knob, 108,000 miles with full service history mostly from Hitchin Audi. One PLC owner from new - beautiful looking and driving vehicle!
    £7,995.00

Is this about right for price?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 23, 2014]

3. excursion

excursion Member

[Dec 2, 2003]
    Seems expensive to me mate. What year is that? If it's 2000 it should be the 115 not 110, as they went to pump deuse (high pressure injection along with a VNT turbo)

Diesels will do 200k if looked after with regular oil changes (every 7k)
  4. mramage

mramage Member

[Dec 2, 2003]

Wouldn't worry too much about the engine, I'd be making sure the suspenion arms/bushes have been replaced, maybe even twice at over 100K.

My parents bought an older A4 TDi with over 100K miles on it. Aside from a few niggly faults and replacing some suspension arms, it's been fine.

You don't mention the reg, but that does seem a little on the dear side to me.
  5. cyberdude

cyberdude Member

[Dec 2, 2003]
    The car is supposed to be a 2000 model but registered in late 1999.

What happens to the suspension arms? Is it just that the bushes wear out? How often should they be replaced? Mark R implied that they should be done at almost every 60K miles.

6. excursion

excursion Member

[Dec 2, 2003]
    Yes that's right Cyberdude, 60k for the lower arms is about right, I tend to do them at 50k.
  7. Patrick

Patrick Member

[Dec 2, 2003]
    I'm not at all sure of the specifics here but I read a few months back in Audi driver and article by the US author (I think?) on a heavy sludgey carbon build up problem with the tdi engine. If no one else expands on this. I will dig ou the article.