Hi & how low? :)

AshGarcia

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm Ash. 23 from Bradford. I've just traded in my corsa SRi T for an 2007 A4 sline 2.0tdi in red. Bit of a change! Hoping to do some nice little mods but still keep on looking classy. Just wondered how low I can go? I want the front sat nicely above the wheel and rear same or slightly lower. It's currently on 18s, 235 40zr.
Thanks in advance :)

Hi Ash, welcome to audi-sport.net. Have a read over the faqs threads in the A4 section. Any pics of the car? For local meets, click the link below and add yourself onto the members list. Im pretty sure they have a meet coming up very soon. Enjoy the forum. :) x

Smaller (Local) Events

I've tried looking but didn't find the answer :/ ill try harder. :) ill put some up when I work out how, cars staying off the road for a month or 2 so I can get bits touched up, wheels painted and hopefully lower it, then ill be coming to the meets :)

Mine is the slightly older model (b6 1.9tdi), but same chassis etc. I am running 40mm lowering springs, and something called b5 perches to drop the front a 10-15mm further still. If you look you'll notice the front sits higher as standard on a4's. The b5 perches are from the b5 chassis, and allow the spring to sit a little lower.

Mine is an SE, so a 40mm drop. Since yours is the s-line it should already be 20mm lower as standard, so you could probably go another 20mm. Lowering springs will most commonly be quoting drop rates for standard se suspension, but always best to check. So even if you get 40mm springs, they'll probably only drop yours 20mm further.

Here's a pic of mine with the spec as above. You could go lower, but it's all down to how low you want to go. Mine hasn't caught/ rubbed etc in 2 months of having it done. I'm also on 235/40/18's.

New_Wheels_zps6e7cd403.jpg

Thanks alot for the reply, ye I've noticed it's lower at the rear. It looks really high! I was out with the tape measure and it looks like it could go another 40mm at the front with no problems? Are all the slines 20mm lower then?

As far as I know the slines are...but having an SE i've not bothered to look haha! If you consider I was supposed to be an SE, so 20mm higher, but my car is 5 years older, so i'm guessing it may have dropped a bit with some saggy springs no doubt. I dropped the front 50-55mm, so you're probably not too far out.

Eibach sportline (i think it's them ones) offer a lowering spring set that has a 50mm drop up front, and 40mm at the rear, to even out the front and rear. Or, you can consider something along the lines of what I have. Some 40mm springs and b5 perches would sit your car exactly where mine was, the difference is that your shocks will cope better as they're made for shorter springs. Each time I go over a speed bump I can almost feel my shocks wheezing, but they're holding up fine so far.

By the way, check out a google search of "audi a4 pinch bolt" and prepare to cry. Hopefully yours aren't as bad since it's a lot newer, but mine took over 6 hours to remove two bolts! They corrode into the wishbone so badly that you basically have to use any means necessary to remove them....oxycet and a massive hammer.

50/40 sounds good! Just hope it doesn't rub. Ohh no! I hope I don't have any problems, I hate warming stuff up. Safe to say that bolt will go back in with alot of copper grease!

If you're doing it yourself, i'd buy a few new pinch bolts ( i actually bought 4 as I used a new one to hammer the old one out). Chances are you won't be reusing the old bolt, and apparently you're supposed to change them each time they're removed anyway. Copper grease is a must for the new ones though!

The 50/40 springs won't be too much as them drop rates are taken from a SE remember, there's a lad in the b6 forum (dogtown22 i think he's called) who just fit them, and has fat-5 wheels (same size tyres) and I don't think he has any rubbing at all either.

I suppose the only other way to be certain is to try coilovers as you can adjust until your heart is content...but I have zero experience of them.

Thanks for your help, ill have to have a think. It's just fair to high at the minute, can't be letting people think its my dads car can I? Haha coil overs are something for the future but for now ill be happy with springs untill I've done a few other mods.

I know how you feel. Mine was an se, it felt like you could put your head between the wheel and arch it was so high.

Hope you get it sorted. Have a look through the b6 and b7 sections, there's so many people who have lowered them and you'll be able to see what they used and what effect it gave with regards to drop. And get some pics up...We all love pics of audi's here.

Thanks for the welcome. Are 50/40s the lowest springs they do? Only going to drop 30/20 isn't it? :( Also where do I get these b5 perches? Looked on ebay..

Last edited: