Hi guys! New to the Audi Marque and looking at buying an S3

rolto1822

Turbo Trainee
Reaction score
So i've owned a few vehicles in my few years of driving: a 2000 Jeep GC, 98 Passat 2.8, and a twin turbo Nissan 300zx jap import.
Decided to make the next car something a bit more luxurious than all three, but still fast whilst also staying fairly practical :)
I've always liked audis too, in the ones i've ridden in, and of course they're great eye candy.

So..... I'm looking for a clean S3 (8L chassis) with sub 120k miles, and full leather. Went and saw (and we test drove) an '02 today (225 bhp), sat nav, bose audio, chrome mirrors, completely stock, 2 owners, and it was reallly nice.

It did have it's downsides - including a limited service history (they had an informal relationship with the local garage and often forgot to have the book stamped). I have seen receipts here and there - was serviced at the same audi dealership up until 45,000.
My main issue is not that i don't believe the seller, but more whether or not it has had the cam belt (+ water pump) changed at all - sitting at a little over 100k on the clock now.

It also did have a little bit of oil residue in the engine bay on the outside of the engine - as well as a few small stains on the driveway. That and the engine management light was on, but at it's most recent service it was diagnosed as the engine speed sensor which is a cheap part so not too bad in my eyes.

Cosmetically it was good, a few bits here and there, and kerbed alloys, but the most important thing is it all looked like original bodywork - absolutely no indication of any accidents.

My budget ideally is 3000 but i realise that for what i want, i may be stretching my budget a little in general. My question is, based on my description of the car, how much do you guys think this car was worth? I can say that it is listed at a little over my budget but that the seller is somewhat flexible on the price owing to the potential lack of a cambelt change.

Should i see more, or should i not be expecting as much as I am in the current market?

Thanks for reading my essay of a first post, and i look forward to being a proper member of the audi community in the not too distant future :)

Sam

Welcome to audi-sport.net Sam. Have a read over n the a3 8L section, lots of useful info in there. Enjoy the forum. :) x

Thanks Sandra, will have a browse :) I've already found several very useful threads on here which have helped :)

We have a wealth of knowledge and a lot of very good members who share there info with others. Im sure you will enjoy it on here. :) x