Hi Folks - Advice Please

Ian_C

Dorsprung Turch Vechnique
Reaction score
Not been on here in ages - got my first A3 in 2003 and i'm about to buy my fourth. Gone from a 1.6 sport to a 1.8 TQ to a 2.0FSI. My sights are set firmly on a 2.0TFSI S-Line, having been put off by the DPF thread!

I have identified a car that I am keen on, its in an Audi Dealership. I have a sum of money that woukld equate to most of the total price of the car, but I am very keen to talk the dealer down in price. The car is an 07 plate with 6500 on the clock, priced at 21500. Its thin on the ground on extras : no 6cd, no Bose, no Cruise, no Sat Nav, no armrest, no rear parking sensors, no MF steering wheel, no auto lights. It has leather but that is standard on the S-Line.

My last 2.0FSI was fully loaded, and whilst I like the quirks I can have them retro fitted in the main (aside of MF Steering Wheel, rear parking sensors) so I don't have a problem in that respect, its the age, miles, engine and colour that appeals with this particular car.

Given the fact I would be able to pay the bulk of the cash up front, and the complete lack of extras on this car - how likely are the chanes of taling the dealer down in price significantly? And if so by how much?

Thanks in advance, I am a complete novice in this respect as my previous purchases have been private.

I guess it depends on whether the dealer thinks they can sell it easily. No dealer wants cars sitting around and perhaps the lack of options will make the car less appealing to other buyers.

Do you know how long it has been on sale for?

Ian_C said:
The car is an 07 plate with 6500 on the clock, priced at 21500....
When I bought my car new, Sept 06 (56 plate), the basic OTR price of the car before I spec'd any extras was also £21.5k, so they are having a laugh !!

Mine is the S-Line SE, which gets full leather as standard.

Thats my point guys - yeah the car's been on the audi used vehicle locator for over 3 months. This cars been on there for a while and I think they have already taken off £500. Clearly the lack of extras is putting people off so that and the fact I can supply most of the money upfront could be the main areas to work with.

Parkers would value this particular car at 20300.

go over the car with a fine toothcomb and ask to see the service log and receipts and then offer them 19500 and come back to 20000

So you think its feasable that they would drop from 21500 to 19500 (20000)?

Or are they just going to laugh at me and tell me to jump in a lake?

I think you might get a grand off relatively easily as long as you can find some stuff to be picky about and 1500 as an absolute max

To be honest if you walk in with cash or close to cash and do a deal there and then you may get 1500 off

But if you go and ask for 1500 you will only get a grand. Point out that the market value per parkers is 20300 suspect you won't actually do better than that - but if you don't ask, you don't get I suspect you could get it for 20300 relatively easily and possibly a few goodies as well

Good advice chaps.

Any more wisdom from other users would also be superb.

Thanks again

Take into account the price new which is approx 23-24K and the fact you should be able to negotiate a pretty decent discount, i got approx 7-10% on my 20TQ back in 05,can't remember exactly. I would say for what they are asking you could definately buy new which maybe a pretty good bargaining tool,tell them you have been offered a new one for the same price at another dealer.Worth a try.

What colour is it ?

Mark

Thats a brilliant idea.

I mean i was thinking of buying new but I just felt it wiser for someone else to take the hit - thats why I want to drive this price down.

Also, if you can, wait until the end of the month when they'll be more desperate to shift it to meet sales targets. This is particularly important if it has been sitting around for a long time; come the end of September, with a huge influx of PX metal from the new reg, you might score a nice deal.

When haggling I always remain cagey about what I'm going to pay - walking away if needed - to tempt the dealer down in price, and then come in with "if you can do it for this" to try and weed out an extra discount. Has worked before :)

I think the car is priced a bit too high for the lack of spec on it

i'd hold out for another car which has more of the bits you want on it rather than having to made do or having to retro fit the stuff.

Go onto drivethedeal.com and coast2coastcars.co.uk.

Bet they are offering approx 10% off for UK cars from UK dealerships brand new.

Most dealers match these broker prices.

Take the quote with you to show them you could buy new in any colour and add options!

Audi dealerships hold their used car prices aftifically high

back over about 18months ago, when my mum was looking for her A3 a 54 reg with the same spec 2.0 TDI S line DSG

at the stealers a 54 reg was £20,000 with 20K

we purchased a private car with extras like rear parking sensors, 6 CD , armrest, cream n back half leather , for £16,000 and 35k

£4,000 less for 15K miles more ???

I purchased a private car in Jan 2007 a 2006 55 reg A3 2.0 TDI S line DSG with 12K for £17,000

my advise would be to take your time , and keep looking for someone selling one private, you have a much better chance of finding a car with more spec for less money.

I have managed between 9 & 10% off all my previous Audi's regardless of new or used, the only one that broke the trend was my current car due to supply/demand.

I too would go in strong with an offer of 19,500 and expect to pay £20,000 - do it 1/2 days before the end of the month and they are likely to snatch your hand off as the car will be written down on their books each month anyway and they will have targets to meet.

When buying a car you are not out to make friends so don't worry about peeing them off, negotiate the best deal possible and they will respect you for it. Good luck

Right -!

Offerd the guy 19500 and eventually had to haggle him down to 20'500. So from 21500 i've got £1000 off, around 5%, which isn't as much as I'd have liked............I've got an apr of 15.8% over 30 months, which seems high given the fact i'm putting down the bulk of the cash.

About to put a deposit down on it though..................

Ian_C said:
Right -!

Offerd the guy 19500 and eventually had to haggle him down to 20'500. So from 21500 i've got £1000 off, around 5%, which isn't as much as I'd have liked............I've got an apr of 15.8% over 30 months, which seems high given the fact i'm putting down the bulk of the cash.

About to put a deposit down on it though..................

15.8%.. ouch! Can't you get a loan from one of the supermarkets / banks? I got a loan from Tesco at 6.7%, when I mentioned it to the Audi dealer they almost matched it so you should be able to get way better than 15.8..

I know the guys dropped the price twice and presented several options though, he's clearly getting a bit miffed but that apr seems so high. I understand they've got to make their cut but 15.8%?!

Do you think I can push him further?

He's only dropped the price by 1k, and it sounds like he is going to make a lot back on the finance!

I would tell him his interest rate is not competitive and that you want it MUCH lower, at least less than 10%.

Mind you the rate for loans is usually lower the more you borrow ( weird I know ) so if you are putting down a lot of cash you might not match the best supermarket rates ( generally around 7% ).

Looks like thats that, probably go with it as I need a car and this is what I had my heart set on. Somone earlier said I could get some "goodies" - what would that entail - what should I ask the chump to chuck in?

Superguard etc?