Hi Fi Separates

necroeire

Reaction score
Hi All, got about €1000 to spend on a new Hi Fi. I already have a nice Denon that I'm going using in the Bedroom, but can anyone recommend a good system for the front room. I want something with a bit of punch and some options.

On a similar note has anyone bought the Acoustic Solutions system that is in Argos? Seems like incredible value. Too good to be true.

Cheers.

Best bet is to get a copy of What Hi-Fi Sound & Vision, do your reading, then go and audition.

In fact, I've got three or four back copies of WHS&V.

PM me your address & I'll send 'em to you.

Denon again, with mission speakers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

For £1000 you can get some serious stuff if you are prepared to go used.

My favourite sub £1000 speakers at the moment are the Quad 11L's at around £350.

Then pick up a used amp like the Cyrus IIIi, Quad 77 or something similar for around £200.
And used Marantz CD63 ki Signature cd players have been going for £150.

That would give you a really nice cd based system for around €1000.

What music do you listen to?

i must be old school i always get separates that are all the same make.
my systems pionner with acoustic solutions speakers.
necro i also have a 5.1 acoustic solutions surround system very good sound for the money.
bet everyones got different make systems... come on i know u wanna....

NAD 3240 amp, NAD CD, Mission M71 speakers with a Mordaunt Short active Sub
Did have a Marantz player but needed it to match and just love the timeless NAD grey.
You can get the above for £630 of your english pounds from Richer Sounds
Still got a pair of Musical Fidelity MC4's which are phenomenal but do dominate the room so have been relegated to the loft.

Well I'm a metal head through and through. So I'd be looking at something that can handle a lot of volume without distorting the sound much, lots of bass in the music too as most of the stuff I listen to has lots of double bass drums, mainly Heavy, Thrash, Speed, Death and Black Metal genres.

The Cyrus gear is great, but astethically it will look too small beside the Marantz. I'm only basing that on a Cyrus system I was looking at about 2 years ago before I bought the small Denon system as the Cyrus looked tiny compaired to some other separates.

I'm a mission speakers man also, love the clarity of them but I think I might look at some dual input speakers.

The Quad 77, must do a little research on those, sounds interesting.

Audi18t and AndyMac, cheers guys. I'm not a believer in mixing and matching parts either but if the system turned out to be a stormer then I'd probably change my mind. I love the Denon mini I have so I'm going looking into some similar items from Denon but am also looking at Cyrus and AudioLab.

Necro.

You have PM.

For what it's worth, I'd choose a Cambridge Audio Azur 640A Amp & matching Azur 640C CD player (£250 each), & hook them up to either Monitor Audio Bronze B2 or Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers (either go for around £180).

Don't forget good cables & stands though!

Enjoy the reading & auditioning

Cheers again Jdp

Looking forward to checking out the systems, going to bring some extreme CD's with me to wreck the sales guys heads.

[ QUOTE ]
Cheers again Jdp

Looking forward to checking out the systems, going to bring some extreme CD's with me to wreck the sales guys heads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your a cruel man. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[quote ..as most of the stuff I listen to has lots of double bass drums, mainly Heavy, Thrash, Speed, Death and Black Metal genres.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm beginning to understand why you're not so keen on the Beatles, heheh!.

Nope the jury is still out, I forgot to PM you back mate. Will do tomorrow as I was away working.

Been looking this system though:
Roksan Kandy MK3 Stereo Amplifier and Roksan Kandy MK3 CD Player and Monitor Audio Silver RS6 Floor-Standing Speakers.

newroksanmonitoraudiopackage672005.jpg

Oh ya a little over budget at £1500 so thats about €2200!

[ QUOTE ]
Nope the jury is still out, I forgot to PM you back mate. Will do tomorrow as I was away working.

Been looking this system though:
Roksan Kandy MK3 Stereo Amplifier and Roksan Kandy MK3 CD Player and Monitor Audio Silver RS6 Floor-Standing Speakers.

newroksanmonitoraudiopackage672005.jpg

Oh ya a little over budget at £1500 so thats about €2200!

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmmmmmm.....nice.

Better add another £200 for a decent interconnect & two runs of good quality bi-wired speaker cable.

It's not what he's after though, is it? That's a 5.1 DVD-based system, & Necro is looking at two-channel stereo separates dedicated to music.

Forgot to say as I thought you would have propably sorted something by now, if you search on www.hififorsale.com in the classifieds there are loads of Cyrus 7's for silly money, and the matching cd player.
Also loads of Naim gear, may suit your music taste better than the Roksan stuff?

If you have gone up to €2200 budget I would definitely consider getting some better smaller speakers and a sub with the type of music you listen to.
The MA silvers have quite a sharp top end.

[ QUOTE ]
It's not what he's after though, is it? That's a 5.1 DVD-based system, & Necro is looking at two-channel stereo separates dedicated to music.

[/ QUOTE ]

jdp check yourself b4 u reck yourself hes first post didnt ask for a 2 channel setup "something for the front room with options". isnt a dvd/tuner/surround sound/sub woofer out an option.
some people on hear are only tryin to help people with there input so have a chil pill bill.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

jdp check yourself b4 u reck yourself hes first post didnt ask for a 2 channel setup "something for the front room with options". isnt a dvd/tuner/surround sound/sub woofer out an option.
some people on hear are only tryin to help people with there input so have a chil pill bill.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, the dangers of posting in the early hours when I'm half-asleep!