1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi come over from the B5 forum

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by phoenixv6quattro, Sep 28, 2010.

1. phoenixv6quattro

phoenixv6quattro staylowmovefast

[Sep 28, 2010]
    Hello Gents!

I've been on the B5 forum now for a year or so. I own a B5 2.8 Avant. I have just bought the Mrs a 3.0 quattro avant on a 02 plate. Its fully loaded with all the sports trimmings etc. Its a great car and drives very well with only 38,000 and a full Audi service history. I have just finished polishing and decontaminating the paintwork and checked it over for potential probs and wear/tear. Everything seems pretty good! Problem wise/things to look out for is it similar to the usual B5 probs? (i.e. control arms/wet carpets/smokey rocker covers etc etc) or has the B6 got its own unique fair share of probs and niggles? Is there anything I should mod/swap to pre-empt and stop any potential probs? Guess all I'm looking for here is some sound advice about the B6 platform potential issues. As part of the sale I had the Audi garage..

-Change the timing belt and all the associated parts (thermo/water pump/tensioner etc)
    -Change ALL fluids incl the diff and box oil
    -Refurb the alloys
    -Change both the rocker cover gasket seals (even though they were not smoking)

Many Thanks Gents!

Ollie
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 28, 2014]

3. Woorlord

Woorlord shifting to Hyperspace... . VCDS Map User

[Sep 28, 2010]
    Welcome aboard Ollie.

Looks like you've pre-empted all the major concerns.
    I am sure with a Audi FSH the coil packs were replaced as per the original recall.

Perhaps check the Alarm siren - internal batteries corrode and can give problems with alarm going off all the time or not at all. To check - bonnet up - alarm on - wait a minute or so then disconnect the battery - alarm should go off under battery backup until you reconnect the car battery. If it does not go off internal batteries are duff - requires a new siren (£80~£120 + fitting), or DIY mod. Signs of starting to fail - beeps from back of car when starting.
  4. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Sep 28, 2010]
    Hi Ollie

That sounds pretty comprehensive to me! The only other thing that springs to mind is the weak glovebox hinges which will break - I started a thread HERE which will prevent the problem. Its worth doing sooner rather than later as these break very regularly.
  5. swarcup

swarcup Well-Known Member

[Sep 28, 2010]
    thermostats are always prone to going defective, if it sits at 90 then its ok. oops should have read your post properly:wacko:
  6. phoenixv6quattro

[Sep 28, 2010]
    Thanks gents. The coilpacks were replaced as per recall. The siren seems alright and by the looks of things it has had a new glovebox(in the service history?) so by the looks of things the hinges were already broken and have been replaced! - What oil would you guys reccomend for this engine (3ltr)? I use 5w-40 fully synth in my 2.8 and change it every 5k. Are these engines essentially the same apart from the extra 200cc in the 3ltr?
  7. phoenixv6quattro

[Oct 7, 2010]
    Anyone?
  8. Woorlord

Woorlord shifting to Hyperspace... . VCDS Map User

[Oct 7, 2010]
    I have used Castrol Edge 5W-30 for ~6 years since the Castrol Longlife SLX was not readily available at normal outlets. I have seen Audi owners at Audi parts counters buying Castrol Longlife SLX-II over the parts counter at around £15+/Litre!
    I do very low mileage in my weekend car but replace the oil annually despite the option for a long life service (~2 years) interval.