hi! (and question about climate control)

matt5594

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently picked up a '99 A3 1.8 T Sport, underneath the "auto" button for the air, there is a button with a picture of a snowflake, when i press that a snowflake appears in the screen just above..

My question is, when the snowflake icon is on, is that using the aircon or not?

Hi there
The snow flake means the A/C is working
In the winter it wont come on below 5 degrees so when you get in and it's not on don't worry, if you push the button it will come on for a sec then go out!
Enjoy!

thanks! is it normal that theres not much pull in 1st until it hits about 2000rpm?

Been a while since I last drove one, but from memory there was, Turbo lag turbo needs to been spun up to work, the newer cars have variable vain which gets rid of most of that.
Check the diaphgram on the turbo overrun valve, or boost valve or dump valve same part but called many different things they break and cause a noise and lack of power in some cases.
hope this helps:racer:

i've also noticed that when going over speed bumps, as the car is coming down, it makes a sort of "psssh" sound and i cant figure out where its coming from. i'm using Pirelli p6000's (205/55/16 i think) and inflated them to 35psi.

any ideas?

skanky said:
i've also noticed that when going over speed bumps, as the car is coming down, it makes a sort of "psssh" sound and i cant figure out where its coming from. i'm using Pirelli p6000's (205/55/16 i think) and inflated them to 35psi.

any ideas?

Gas Shocks I think..... Mine does it - It just the shockers Psshing :)

Oh and welcome...

hop2407 said:
Gas Shocks I think..... Mine does it - It just the shockers Psshing :)

Oh and welcome...
so thats totally normal?

been told to check some sort of filter/intake or something (i forget things when not paying attention!), somewhere around the left front wheel as a possible cause of the car not pulling away at low revs.

EDIT: also i think im on yearly service schedule, since my yearly mileage is going to be very low, would it be worth my while staying on yearly or doing the variable service option?

skanky said:
so thats totally normal?

Believe so - On each front wing - press it down / bounce it (if u know what mean) and see if you can hear the noise.... if you are unduly worried, just get a mecahnic to check the shockers.... however, as it's a sport, there wont be (shouldn't be) much movement when pressed / bounced

been told to check some sort of filter/intake or something (i forget things when not paying attention!), somewhere around the left front wheel as a possible cause of the car not pulling away at low revs.

car not pulling and Psshing over speed bumps is 2 different issues... not sure about car not pulling away at low revs - may need VAGcoming or as marmite says - DV etc. checking out

EDIT: also i think im on yearly service schedule, since my yearly mileage is going to be very low, would it be worth my while staying on yearly or doing the variable service option?

IMO Stick to standard service / inspection (yearly)... that is, when the indicator on the dash advises one is due.....

HelloM8
Servicing I would keep it on Fix BUddy (yearly)
The running fault it is always a good Idea to get the throttle body cleared out and reset you will need a service tester to do that though but well worth it, also I always recommend people to chuck a can of injector cleaner in STP stuff is good or you can get it from Audi too, this cleans up the system and also the Lambda probes, treat it to a tank of Super + and see the difference.

The noise from the fornt sounds normal too but if your unsure pop down to Audi and check out another car for sale or in the car park, if the same atleast you will be sure.

Enjoy!!

right, took the car to one of my mates whos owned an a3 for years, he says he gets the same pssh sound on his car when driving over bumps and stuff, it drove him nuts too!

let him take it for a test drive and he had no problem with pulling away inb 1st and he says the turbo pulls exactly like in his car, looks like i just need practice driving the car to get used to it.

*phew*