Hi All - Coil Pack Question

heli_madken

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, new to this forum and a new S4 Cab owner

Bought myself a Jun 05 S4 Cab last Thursday, had a fantastic weekend big smile on my face and put over 500 miles on the clock, wonderful car

All went pear shaped on my way home Monday night when the engine dropped down a few cylinders and sounded like a bag of Sh!* Had to go through the embarasement of having it hauled away on the back of a truck in front of all my neighbours so not a happy bunny!

Turns out 6 coil packs need replacing :wtf: reading around this sounds like a common problem is there anything I can scream at the dealers to try and prevent this? Wont get the car back till tomorrow so pretty fed up how expensive are the packs and are they easy to replace, reasonable mechanic and would sooner do it myself than wait for Audi mechanics to find a slot in their workshop

What other issues are there with the S4? you can imagine that I am beginning to get weary (only driven the thing 4 days and its broke) if I have done the right thing here, breaking down is a new experience to me having driven Land Rovers for 17 years without a single breakdown!

Cheers, Ken

Hi,

Got it sorted after 3 days, got the car back on Friday ran fine over the weekend, on the way to work this morning its gone again worse misfire than ever and engine management light on

Really pi$$ed off with this now, lovely car when it goes but only had it 9 days and its broken twice, been off the road 4.

Have I just been unlucky are are these things cr*p, any help would be appreciated

Nightmare

Cant fault the dealer they have thrown every resource at the car but they still dont know whats wrong, the engine is currently being stripped down, wont get it back till mid next week.

I still need help, the car has only done 17,000 miles, have I bought a lemon are these things realy this fragile should I throw it back?? please help

Had the same problem with mine, but after a lot more miles,,, basically after 1 went, they all failed shortly after. So like yourself I was left limping home a couple of times sounding like a bag of nails......... Eventually I just changed the rest in one go!

Following on from that I had a problem with some sensor in the exhaust, then cam position sensor, which turned out to be caused by a timing chain tensioner, (£3,000+ bill for that) Still got to go back because it's playing up again.

I love this particular car, or I'd have swapped it for an RS4 or Monaro by now.

Thanks for the input, least I know I am not the only one (but is that a bad thing:unsure:)

Havent heard anything from the dealer yet just a matter of waiting now :3sadwalk: it does sound like a similar problem to yours did the sensor show up on the diagnostics test? the results on mine are all clear

Thanks again, Ken

Yes it did, but it was only because it was apparently trying to compensate for the chain tensioner problem.

Coil packs are a common problem, but not at 17,000 miles I don't think??

Still under warrenty, so I guess you'll be OK

Been over a week and they still dont know whats wrong with the car, they are waiting for a decision from Audi UK to put a new engine in.

They are being very non specific with timelines for this anyone any experience of waiting for a replacement engine? how long did it take?

Apologies for banging on, just in case anyone is interested in this they now reckon its one of the variable cam drivetrains, giving me a timeline of the back end of next week for a fix.

Apparently after Audi's best looking through the 100 page tech report couldnt find the problem one of the older mechanics used a tuning fork to isolate it! used to do the same thing with a screwdriver against my ear and engine to locate knocks

What will happen when all the old grease monkeys are gone!

Anyone hear of this problem on the V8? what could cause this to happen after 17K miles and how could it be related to the initial coil pack issue? that one beats me. Any help would be appreciated.

I can only sympathize with the problems you're having. I've always found it very hard to get any information out of garages when they are trying to fix your car as you can never actually speak to a mechanic directly. They often assume that you don't have any technical knowledge. It could be that the coil pack failure and misfire induced some unusual drivetrain stresses and was the catalyst for the cam drivetrain failure, but that would just be speculation. Hope you soon get some answers.

Thanks for the help, latest is that they are waiting for a 23p dowel for the gear which wont arrive till Saturday, so my revised timescale is mid to end next week.

That will mean that I have had the car 5 weeks but only driven it for less than one.

I get the feeling that the car is sitting there and only being looked at between money making service jobs, dealer is courteous and have me in a gorgeous A6 Quattro relief car so they are trying to look after me but does anyone think I should complain to a higher level?

I feel your pain mate. As for complaining its a very subjective thing as to how you feel. Do you feel that the dealer are giving you their best service? If you think they are then just ride it out. Always worth speaking to the MD to let him know that you appreciate their efforts but also to make him aware that your tolerance is running short!!

Equally if you have any inkling that the outcome is not going to be a happy one, then I would make Audi UK aware of the problem now. You don't necessarily need to criticise the dealer, but if you wait too long to tell them it may get treated as sour grapes.

Let us know how you get on, hope its fixed soon.

Been told today that the engine is now fixed, however they have found that a catalytic converter has gone and as their isnt one in existence in the friggin world it will be mid next week before I get the car back, this brings it to 6 weeks of ownership and 5 days driving.

Took quatttrojames advice and have complained to the MD very bitterly told him I didnt think that any urgency has been put into fixing the car, he was apologetic and ranting made me feel better but whether its got me anywhere I dont know.

I also complained about the neanderthal RAC guy that came to the car the first time it broke, I had tried the starter a couple of times but realised that was it, when he turned up he planted his foot on the floor and turned over the ignition continuosly, when I started to smell petrol I told him to stop as it was obvious it wasnt going to start and I asked him if he knew unburnt fuel would contaminate the Cat to which he didnt answer. Telling you this story as a word of caution, dont assume RAC/AA/Greenflag etc guys are fully trained mechanics and could care less about your car, I believe it was at this point the Cat was damaged. With a modern car if it doesnt start within a few tries it probably isnt going to, planting your foot on the floor of a 1982 Morris Marina and winding the starter for a couple of minutes might of worked but not on a modern day supercar.

I know you guys must love your Audi's but as a new owner I am feeling less than impressed

Hi just thought I would complete this story by letting you know I got the car back yesterday, dealer showed me the long list of parts replaced and I was given a letter to confirm that my next service was free of charge and a free wind deflector which I have seen listed at £160 so thanks to Warrington Audi!

I was very wary last night but driving to work this morning without the radio on the engine sounds fantastic, at 5.8s 0 to 60 its not the fastest car around by any means but I tell you no hot hatch can beat the noise of that V8 I cant describe it, its both aircraft turbine and some how a great big solid manacing tractor! I just cant describe it.

I have fallen in love again cant you tell:yes: Thanks to all who helped

Good I am glad you got it sorted – and I’m sure you would not have got the complimentary service and the wind deflector if you hadn’t spoken to the MD.

Our relationship with our cars is a very fickle one – we hate them when they mess us about, BUT when they are running well we love em’ to bits!!