Hesitation when at constant speed

norris_309

Reaction score
I'm back again, not having a good car time at the minute.

Driving my 2004 1.9tdi (avf) today, coming up over a hill at a constant 30ish mph the car kept hesitating & feeling like it was holding back & then you'd feel the power again & this happened several times.

When you press the throttle it all feels & goes fine, no spluttering or anything.

I then drove on the flat in flowing traffic at 30 & 40, when just cruising you could feel the occasional feeling of low power/hesitation, again press the throttle & it all went fine??

Tick over seems fine, I've scanned it with a generic cheap scanner tool that just brings up a 17996 which it's always had & think that's the oil filled engine mount.

the car has recently had the alternator pulley & belt replaced, but it's been fine for a week or so since then, it only seems to start today.

Any ideas on what could cause that? i'm hoping it'll clear itself up as it's been damp today...... fingers & toes crossed!

To add to this,

Driving home from work tonight, I've noticed there is a whoosing/rush of air type of sound when you accelerate.
It happens when you'd normally hear the turbo whistle, and stops when you ease off the throttle. (so seems to coincide with the turbo boost)

The car still seems to go ok, idles fine. but still getting the slight odd feel when cruising along with foot just resting on the throttle to keep a constant speed.

Very odd.. guessing it must be a leaking pipe of some sort maybe?

I've not had chance to look under the bonnet as it's dark when I leave for work & dark when I get home!!.. so hope it's ok to be driving at the moment.

Any other ideas on what could cause this would be greatly appreciated.
I'm wondering if anything could have been knocked when I had the alternator pulley & belt changed last week? or is it just a coincidence.

I'm having a bad time with cars at the minute, one thing after another!!.. still got a dodgy knock coming from the front too.

Eliminating simple things first, when was the fuel filter last changed? They look pretty black after 40,000 miles.

The fuel filter was last changed early this year, so probably only done around 5-6k miles at a rough guess.
Just speaking to a mate, he's saying turbo hose split.
How do you identify that?.. it doesn't make the noise when idling or revving it with no load.

Hopefully I can get home during daylight hours today & take a look under the bonnet at least!

Had the audi booked in to have the knocking looked at but think this current issue is now more important.

I've been driving the other halfs mini cooper s to work today as she's reporting a squeal when driving at slow speeds!.... I've had so many trouble free years with my cars it seems to be all coming & biting me at once from all angles!...

I removed the engine cover to find it had a load of oil sitting on top.
On inspection I've found the small hose (90 degree bend) on what I assume it the back end of the egr valve that then connects to a plastic tube going across the back of the engine bay to intercooler??
it looks like there is a small split in the hose on the inside of the bend.

Can I just remove this without too much bother(meaning oil pouring out)?? just wanted to check it is a split & not just a mark on it before ordering the part.

I guess it's air and a bit of oil mixed in in that pipe?

Thanks mike,
that is the part number of the part I found on ebay, just slightly concerned it wasn't the exact number so didn't want to get the wrong bit.
It looks the same.

wonder why the part number is slightly different?..

Thanks for the help, appreciate it. I'll call vw/audi dealer in the morning & get the bit.

Cheers

Well done tracking that down - looks a simple fix