Hesitation through revs

I

imported_Robbyc

Hi there,

I have just recently brought an S3 and luv it. The problem i have with it though is when i boot it it goes like it should do then hesitates then goes again this happens twice through the range. Does anyone know what this could be.

Thanks

try the diverter valve. i had this prob on my A3. £20 diverter valve from the dealers and problem sorted.

Well easy to fit too! and its cheap even if its not the prob.

Most likely will be though!

Hope this helps.

MAF - Mass Airflow, this is a common problem... not sure what AMM stands for /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

i know what the MAF is but not AMM. Sorry!

The MAF stands for Mass Air Flow.

It measures the amount of air going into the system through the air filter and then on that depends on how much fuel the car puts into the engine?

If its dirty or faulty then the car will be hesitating as the amount of fuel the car thinks it needs will be going up and down, hence the hesitation!

Hope this helps...and if im wrong then people please correct me! lol

forgot.. it is attached to the LHS of the air filter, you cant really miss it. best thing is to get a VAG.com Diag done on it, this will tell you if it is the MAf or something else. You can get this done from the stealers, but i think its around £85 for them to test, ask around to see if anyone is willing to do this check for you as im sure there are people on this forum who have that tool. Good Luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think AMM is Air Mass Meter (Which I think is the same thing as the MAF - But don't quote me!)

Cheers
Rich.

Thanks Guy's You have been most helpfull

Cheers
Rob.

Not yet havent had much time. i'm goin to take it up audi and get a tecnition to look at it.

Did it again last night when it got hot. it was like hitting a rev limeter almost nutted the steering wheel.

i hope its a turbo i've just spent over £13,500 on an s3.

That sounds like a possability as on my way home from work last night i give it some welly up a hill in third from about 40 and it just would not boost had to change down into 2 for it to boost.

What sort of revs should you start hearing the turbo.

oh right sorry. im thinking of someone else! i thought you had a 1.8!

You shouldnt in theory hear the turbo, just the air being sucked in! i only have an a3 1.8ts and i hear the 'suck' (ha ha bring all the funny comments out now, lol) at about 3000 rpm onwards!

if you were in limp mode i dont know whether changing down to second would make it kick in! but im not an expert! RichA3Turbo is your man or Ess_Three, seem to know everything!

Sorry i couldnt help more

i've just spoke to a mate and he recons if it was in limp mode it would be pretty undrivable.

Cheers anyway Rob

ummm...i dont know if thats completely true,

as many people on hear have hit limp mode and all explained it to be like the turbo has dropped off their car?

Do some searchs for limp mode and see what comes up?

Prob help alot!

Hi guys

Sorry about the delay just got in from work.

Where about's do u live?

Have you got a nice new part that will fix my car cus i'm getting well pi**ed of with it

Robbyc, just noticed your based in Solihull, I must be going blind from watching Pure's avatar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Gave you a PM mate.

Hi guys, just met up with Robbyc, sound guy with a nice looking motor, need to post some pics of your car mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Anyway, back to the hesitation question. The car's turbo is spinning up and it's definitely not in limp mode. His car seems to be a little underpowered for some reason, it pulls smoothly through the rev range, but doesn't seem to have the top end I remember(my car was chipped last month), and it doesn't feel like the MAF is knackered, as I had MAF problems before my remap. It feels strange to be honest, as I remember a kick in the power delivery before my remap, even in a warm day like today. I don't however, have any experience of a knackered DV, so could this be the problem?

yeah id definatly change the dv. i had this prob but with mine it didnt go through the revs smoothly.
when i fitted the new one it didnt pull the same for a couple of days, i think it needed to wear in a bit.
but its fine now.

does the temperature reach 90 and stay there. cos my car felt like it lost the turbo and teh revs were still smooth but with no pull. and it didnt reach temp properly. so i changed a sensor (£20) on the coolent system and its all back to norm?

depends, it did on my wife's a3 t-sport. didnt on my s4 or rs4

i need to get a vagcheck asap, is any here from lancs that could help ?i would appreciate it

try the vagcom section ?

MAF is your safest bet, and will more than likely cure the problem by replacing it... I'd try this first of all. Besides, they degrade with age, so may not be a bad idea anyway!

i thought it was my MAF sensor, i cleaned it about a week ago- acceleration is a lot better but then a few days later that light came on.. im getting it checked hopefully tomorrow and i will let you know (if any1 is interested lol) what is the outcome because it seams to be re-occurring problem with a few people

also RichA3Turbo - do you know if the nine spoke 18 inch alloy wheels were an optional upgrade on a 02 plate audi S3? change of subject i know
thanks

Cleaning the MAF doesnt always work... a replacment should be £75+vat from dealers i believe!

Rich

campbell said:
also RichA3Turbo - do you know if the nine spoke 18 inch alloy wheels were an optional upgrade on a 02 plate audi S3? change of subject i know
thanks

yeah im pretty sure they were

im gettin it check out 2nit i think by a very kind guy off here called FactionOne so that should let me know why the engine management light is coming on, hopefully it is something trivial like the MAF
i will let you know
and thanks for everyones help

MAF = Mass Air Flow
AMM = Air Mass Meter

Basically the Air Mass Meter measures Mass Air Flow. People exchange the terms, and they generally mean the Air Mass Meter. This is the sensor straight after your air-box.

Hesitation is a common problem on these cars, in fact any 1.8T engine.
A feeling of lack of performance is also common.

My car has had a hesitation problem in varying degrees since new. Just cannot get to the bottom of it. But in summary it could be caused by:-

Vaccum/boost leak somewhere
Faulty OEM Diverter Valve - these tend to stick, or the diaphragm splits
AMM/MAF - they degrade, and almost never give a fault code/engine warning light. Only when they really do break, do they give the engine warning light.
Coolant Temp Sensor - make sure you have the latest one
N75 - this controls boost basically, by contolling the vaccum which in turn controls the wastegate actuator.
N249 - this controls the vacuum going to the top of your Diverter Valve. So that the ECU can tell the Diverter valve when to open and close.
Coil Packs - You can have an old version, and one could be on its way out. Check the versions. Or just blanket replace them.
Spark Plugs - S3/TT spark plugs are supposed to last 40K miles. They do. But some people like to replace them more regular. One of the simplest things to check is that they are torqued up correctly. If they aren't, they could come loose under continual cooling and heating. I've seen a post somewhere, where plugs were not tightened correctly and the guys coil packs looked like they'd been under a blow-torch.
02 Sensors - Upstreem and Downstreem of CAT

others:-
Throttle Pedal Position sensor
Brake pedal sensors - 2 of them
Clutch pedal sensor
Throttle body - very rarely replaced. Sometimes it just needs a clean inside with some carb-cleaner, then perform a throttle body reset (TBA) with VAG-COM.

There are a lot of sensors which feed into the Electronic Power Control system (EPC) and the Electronic Stability System (ESP) which if faulty, could cut power slightly. E.g. the throttle, clutch, brake sensors => EPC, Longitudinal, Lateral, Steering angle => (ESP).

Its a mine field. I've given up now to be honest. But some of the simple stuff like plugs, coil-packs, air-filter, AMM, DV, can all be replaced quite easily, and should result in the car running better.

Good luck.

AL

cheers for that AL, iv had my DV changed to a forge recently, i will check the simple things this weekend
iv had my car remapped bt revo and when running high boost on 9 it tends to cut back but when its on boost 6 its fine but i just want to get that light off just for peace of mind!
thanks